Decorate 4 Day Old Cake???

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm by DeeDelightful

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 17

So, being the completely stressed out over worked teacher and new mommy icon_redface.gif I forgot to completely cover my cakes and just threw a towel over them. It has been about 4 days now. They are not completely hard but getting there. I am supposed to decorate them tonight, is there anything I can do to make them moist again or should I just make new ones? Thanks so much!

16 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 17

Whoa. I've screwed up like that before. I started over. Now I always wrap in plastic wrap. BUT....one simple thing you might try is to coat them with simple syrup.
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
bring only to boil then remove from heat.
let cool, add approx. 3 tsp flavoring of choice or liquer.
cover all of outside of cake. It might help.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 17

i definetly would start over.. 4 days.. whoa!!! think about it.. hth

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 17

I would definitely start over. You do very nice cakes, and while I think simple syrup (as suggested) may help some, I really don't think it will bring back "freshness". I mean no disrespect, so don't take it the wrong way, but I don't usually eat cakes after about 3 days. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 17

Yeah, I'm going to say that you should go ahead and start over. I'm feeling pretty iffy about the cakes I baked a couple of days ago and I forgot to cover them for about 12 hours. The simple syrup might work, but it also might not. How would you really know until you bit into it? Do you want to take that chance?

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 17

I agree !00%. Start over. Sorry this happened.icon_sad.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 17

Another vote for starting over. Yes, you loose time. But you have only one reputation, and to loose this because simple syrup and filling together didn't get your cake moist?

Actually, I had to do it once. I wrapped my cake, but somehow the cake was overbaken in the middle - rock hard. I noticed it when torting and had to start over. Ended decorating at 4 a.m. and at 7 a.m. driving the cake to the office, because it was for my colleague and we are starting very soon.

ohayr639 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 17

That's what I figured but wanted some reassurance. . . Thanks so much!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #9 of 17

Oh yes, I wouldn't use a 4 day old cake that isn't properly stored.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #10 of 17

I wouldn't use it to serve at my house and I really wouldn't even think about giving it to someone else. Now 4 days wraped up in the fridge is another story-that's some good cake worth eating.

ohayr639 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:36am
post #11 of 17

Yeah, I remade them. . . No worries! I tried a piece just in case and decided, like all of you, there was no way I would want to serve that. I have another question though; I made buttercream, just regular powdered sugar buttercream, about a week ago and went to use it tonight and there droplets on it. I don't know if they are water or oil but wasn't sure if I should just mix it back in or toss it. Any ideas?

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:39am
post #12 of 17

What exactly are the ingredients for your frosting? If there is any milk in it, I might be concerned, but if it was made with water, then it should be fine I would think.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:56am
post #13 of 17

I would start over. It is not worth making a bad cake. Sorry.

ohayr639 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:25am
post #14 of 17

OMG, I make it with water, no milk. I thought I had read that it can keep for a long time so I was kind of schocked.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:29pm
post #15 of 17

you can keep buttercream for a while, even made with milk or cream. the ratio of sugar to your milk/perishable items acts as a preservative and will keep them from souring.

Just remix it and it will be fine. It would smell sour if it were bad. You can always take a tiny taste if you're not sure, but trust me... I make icing with butter and whipping cream and I've left it out for several days in a tupperware container or covered with saran and it tastes just as good as the day I made it.

I put it in the fridge if it's going to be out more than a few days though.

ohayr639 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks so much! I also try to put it in the fridge everytime.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #17 of 17

I would just re-whip it and taste it to make sure it's fresh. Probably nothing wrong with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%