My Gumpaste/fondant Figures Aren't Drying... Help!

Decorating By Oliviasmom08 Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm by Normita

Oliviasmom08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oliviasmom08 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 9

I saw the gumpaste not drying entry below, but A) I don't have a warming drawer in my oven, and B) I used a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mixture to make my figures. They just aren't drying. I made them on Sunday. Any suggestions on getting them to dry quickly? I need to finish them (add details) tonight or tomorrow to get the cake done on time. Thanks in advance!

8 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Oliviasmom
I don't know if it's hot in your area but you could always try taking your figurines into the heat outdoors. I don't think they will dry completely since you used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. I like to use all gumpaste for my figurines just to make sure they will be dry in time to complete my project. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 9

Hi, if you have a lamp, take the shade off it and put them right next to the heat of the bulb - they need a dry heat to dry out - halogen lamps work even better. You should mix gum trac or tyclose in the your fondant - they dry quicker and hard.

Good luck,

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 9

I put my stuff in front of a fan. Don't put it in the sun as that may fade/bleach out the color.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 9

Hi i also use 50/50 and it's taken up to 3 weeks to dry especially if they are thick, say like an elmo, you can try using something to put inside using gumpaste glue, like hard candy, it can also help keeping it from going a little bulgy, my elmo has a big butt

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #6 of 9

I got this tip here on cc...Put them in the oven with the light on and close the door. Don't put it too close to the light though or else it will fade.

emma_jada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_jada Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 9

I have a question too... in the past my figures have either not dried out enough or dried too fast and began to crack and look like they needed some lotion! What is the best mixture to do figures? Straight gumpaste or mix with fondant? I have a sesame street cake coming up with more detailed figures than I have done before.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 9

I have found that a 50/50 mix works best. Straight gumpaste becomes to fragile and straight fondant is to soft. If you need them soon do the oven trick just don't forget about them. If not they will need about 5+ days to dry depending on their size. If it is something like a letter or curly things they will dry in one day. Most of my figures/flowers I make on Mondays for weekend cakes.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobueno

Hi Oliviasmom
I don't know if it's hot in your area but you could always try taking your figurines into the heat outdoors. I don't think they will dry completely since you used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. I like to use all gumpaste for my figurines just to make sure they will be dry in time to complete my project. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

I wouldn't suggest taking them out doors so the sun hits them. It will make the fondant fade suuuuuuuper fast. This happened to me on one of my cakes. I molded a name out of fondant. I did the name in 3 parts...attached the last two parts at home and was going to attach the first part at the party. On the way there, the sun was hitting the piece that I was going to attach at the party. It was only like a 15 min drive but by the time I go there it was completely faded!!! I will attach a pix of the cake...just look at the difference between the shade of pink of the bow and the first part of the name. Sun is not a good idea!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1438476

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%