Can I Make Chocolate Black?

Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 5:49pm by MikeRowesHunny

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:14am
post #1 of 4

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to colour chocolate black? If so, what type of food colouring should I use?
Also is it possible to make white chocolate really white rather than the off white it tends to be?
I'd really appreciate any help.
TIA,
Emma

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:25am
post #2 of 4

Yes, you can color chocolate black. You must either use an oil-based color OR Americolor's flo-coat w/ the Americolor gel colors. Here is a link to a source for these products: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=2&ShopId=39&CatId=535&SubCatId=1422. As for white, the only way to get a product that is more white that I am aware of is to use the white confectionary coating, I'm not sure if the flo-coat mentioned abv. will work w/ brite white or not. Maybe another CC can answer that.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:46am
post #3 of 4

CK Products make bright white candy melts.

Look for Candy Kote Wafers Super White (product no. 70-2220).

For black, I just use Chefmaster black oil-based candy colouring with dark chocolate wafers. Although, haven't Wilton just bought out black candy melts (should be available with Halloween not too far away!)?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

CK Products make bright white candy melts.

Look for Candy Kote Wafers Super White (product no. 70-2220).

For black, I just use Chefmaster black oil-based candy colouring with dark chocolate wafers. Although, haven't Wilton just bought out black candy melts (should be available with Halloween not too far away!)?

Just discovered that this brand is also known as Merckens, which might make your search easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%