What To Do With The Cake Cut Offs?

Decorating By Kez82 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm by LaBellaFlor

Kez82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kez82 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:25am
post #1 of 11

Hi, I was just wondering what everyone does with all the cake they cut off before decorating. It seems like such a waste. Would love to hear what you do with yours.

Thank you
Kerry

10 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:26am
post #2 of 11

Eat it plain or with icing or make cake balls. Scraps in my house are not usually an issue with 4 kids and DH to help out!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:58am
post #3 of 11

yep eat it plain or put them in a bowl and pour hot custard on them and eat them that way....yummy yummy! Will have to try cake balls one day too

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:10am
post #4 of 11

What left overs?? LOL! I tend to eat them all but below is a great link to Bakerella's blog which shows how you can turn them into mini works of art:

http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2007/12/red-velvet-cake-balls.html

muderick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muderick Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:19am
post #5 of 11

Depending on the cake, yellow plain cake is good for traditional trifles. Chocolate cake for a chocolate version with cherries and chocolate custard.

cut cake in rounds if there is enough and put ice cream in the middle and freeze. Defrost and decorate with cream and fruit.

Dip chunks in condensed milk and then coconut. Toast it (watch carefully!) or put on skewers and toast over the bbq. Serve with ice cream.

Hope that helps.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 11

Mt Grandson calls them "cake skins" and asks me everyday if I have any! icon_lol.gif

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 11

Sometimes I dry them out and process them into cake crumbs in my food processor, then either recycle them back into another cake or use them for pie crusts (like oreo cookie crumbs).

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 11

EAT THEM!!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 11

They go right in the trash. After all the years I've logged making cakes, we just don't eat cake.

House painters have leftover paint. Carpenters have slivers of wood. Knitters have small pieces of yarn. All leftovers. All "scrap".

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

What left overs?? LOL! I tend to eat them all but below is a great link to Bakerella's blog which shows how you can turn them into mini works of art:

http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2007/12/red-velvet-cake-balls.html

Ditto! I love her blog! But you I would prefer to turn them into her mini-cupcakes. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 11

If they don't get ate, they go in the trash...but they usually get ate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%