Help With Football Helmet Cake/ Face Mask

Decorating By KKristy Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm by MissRobin

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:23am
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to create a face mask for a football helmet cake. I made a wire frame and covered it with gumpaste/fondant mix, but the only problem is that its not smooth....(I made ropes and formed it around - encasing the wire)...doesn't look too good in my opinion.
So, does anyone have an idea for plan B ...aside from buying a real helmet and taking the face mask off of it ?

5 replies
TwoSweetSisters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoSweetSisters Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 6

you can purchas just the facemask itself at Academy Sporting Goods for about $12 or $13. Attach it to your helmet cake with fondant strip using #12 tip to impress a circle and impress it to make it look like a screw, paint screw with silver luster. Make sure to make your helmet big enough to fit the facemask. We've made several helmets this way and one groom wouldn't let anybody cut it. He froze it so he could bring it to his tailgiting party for the first LSU football game!LOL

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 6

I used a clay gun and formed the mask on a big plastic pitcher, I believe Flourpots, did a tutorial on this, I will see if I can attach. Anyway It worked great, you can look in my photos at the helmet to see, btw, not a very good pic, had to use my phone, I forgot my camera.http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=615967&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

MissRobin Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 6

I used a clay gun and formed the mask on a big plastic pitcher, I believe Flourpots, did a tutorial on this, I will see if I can attach. Anyway It worked great, you can look in my photos at the helmet to see, btw, not a very good pic, had to use my phone, I forgot my camera.http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=615967&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 6

Your helmet and jersey cakes are awesome ! The face mask is perfect !
My old clay extruder broke( I was trying to see if I could make it without, but looks like I need to go get one quick).
Thanks for the link !
Kristy

MissRobin Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 6

Sure, glad to help!! Thanks for the kind words!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%