Lumps In My Mmf

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm by Darthburn

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:06am
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone,

I make my own MMF, but it seems lately when I do the powdered suger starts turning into small clumps when I put the melted MM in. Am I putting it in the sugar too hot or something? I don't remember it doing it when I first started making MMF, but with time I have developed some time saving steps and I thought that might be messing me up.

I now get the MM out of the microwave and immediately pour in with the sugar... that way it's not stuck to the bowl and a hard clean up. But if that is what is clumping the sugar, I'd rather soak the bowl and clean it the next day than have to knead fondant for 30 minutes and break all the little sugar clumps up.

Thanks for the help

15 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:35am
post #2 of 16

I'm not sure, but I put the sugar gradually at first into the bowl of melted marshmallows, then dump a lot in. Never had a clumping issue.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:00am
post #3 of 16

Are you sifting you sugar? I've only had a problem with clumping when I first tried MMF and I hadn't sifted my sugar. Never had that problem since I started sifting but then again I usually only make MFF now instead of MMF.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 16

Mine always clumps pretty badly; but after sitting overnight they all dissolve... no biggie to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 16

What is MFF ? different then MMF ? so confusing THANKS

Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 16

I just recently figured this one out! MFF is 'Michelle Foster's' version of MMF. ie: Michelle Fosters fondant. I thought everyone was making typos!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 16

Does anyone have and willing to share the receipe for MFF?

Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 16

Search Michele Foster; it's on this website. Only ONE L in Michele

xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendabeeper

Does anyone have and willing to share the receipe for MFF?

Here you go:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=michele+foster&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

and here's an FAQ that Michele put together about her fondant:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-mff.html

It's a really easy and tasty fondant to make. I like putting white chocolate into mine.

Darthburn Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:43am
post #10 of 16

Thank you all for the help...

I usually put some sugar in the bowl, then dump the MM on it, then add more sugar on top.

I don't sift my sugar. I did it once.... ONCE. It took forever to do a 2 pound bag and my arm was so sore afterward I couldn't work the fondant in.

I thought it was old sugar, but new bags do it too. I thought the MM were too hot but I dunno. I usually make a batch and put it on right away... .maybe I should let it set overnight like suggested.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I should try the MFF instead too.

xstitcher Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:37am
post #11 of 16

What are you using for sifting. If it's anything like the ones that you can pick up at walmart they suck (you know the kind that you have to squeeze the handle). I still have to pick up a good one myself but what I've been using in the meantime has been a stainless steel splatter guard with a fine mesh on it. I just use the end of a really big spoon to help push the sugar thru (sifts it quite nicely) and doesn't make a huge mess.

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:27am
post #12 of 16

My MMF gets clumps in it to, but when I break up it into the size piece I need and kneed that, they disappear.

Neopolymath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neopolymath Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:27am
post #13 of 16

Ive had that problem happen to me a few times now and i think i know the reason. I believe its because of the heat/humidity. i noticed whenever i used an already-open bag of confectioners sugar during summer months, i would get this problem. try storing the sugar in a better container or avoid using opened bags that have been sitting in the closet for a while. That combined with sifting my sugar has made that problem pretty much dissapear for me icon_biggrin.gif .

Darthburn Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 16

Yeah I'm using one of those hand sifter thingy's. OMG what a pain. That's why I quit.

I was thinking the same thing Neopolymath... that's what I meant by old sugar, I didn't explain it very well, sorry. lol

I've since started sealing left over sugar in another bag with my vacuum sealer.

I'm making a couple batches today... I'm going to try letting the MM cool a little more first. I'll let you all know how it does.

AND THANK YOU EVERYONE icon_biggrin.gif

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:43am
post #15 of 16

I didn't used to get lumps either but now I am.

I have used all different kinds of sugar.

Now I sift - its better than lumps!

Darthburn Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 16

I made 2 batches the day before yesterday. I let the MM cool a little more before mixing it in the sugar and I didn't have hardly any lumps at all. Maybe about 5 and that was it, compared to before when I have so many I can't count.

I'll keep a record and see how it does. and if all goes well I'll try doing it while hot to try and make it lump to see if that was it. It's like science I guess, you have to prove it icon_smile.gif

Thank you again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%