Shaking Hands?

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 5:01am by redpanda

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:40am
post #1 of 3

I'm right-handed. When I pipe details my hand just shakes like crazy making my straight lines all jagged, especially when I squeeze the bag. It's not as bad of less-stiff consistency icing. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the shakes? I'm new to caking so I'm wondering if I need to buy a stress ball to squeeze.

2 replies
adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #2 of 3

i just made a "whoops" post because of my ever-shaking hands! glad to know i'm not alone.

though some would argue it's because i'm left handed and you know they can never do anything right! icon_biggrin.gif

i'd be curious to see if anyone has any advice for this "ailment".

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #3 of 3

I have neurological and joint problems in my hands, so I get cramping and shaking when using anything other than very soft icing. I have found a couple things that help at least somewhat.

The first is to never fill the bag more than half full, and less is even better, but not to the point of almost empty. This seems to put less stress on the hands and require less effort.

The second is to put a rubber band or small bag clip (chip clip) on the bag after twisting it right above the icing. This eliminates the need to hold the twisted bag firmly enough to keep the icing from coming out the back. All squeezing goes to pushing the icing out. As the icing gets used, the rubber band/clip gets moved down the bag.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%