Hi Ratio Shortening In Canada?

Decorating By Limpy Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm by aliciahere

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #1 of 8

After reading about sugarshacks buttercream recipe, I want to give it a try. Is there a high ratio shortening in Canada? Crisco seems to be the shortening in every store here.

7 replies
heathandhail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathandhail Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 8

Not sure where you are located but Bulk Barn sells hi ratio shortening

Ren29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren29 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 8

hi there ....not sure where you are but in the Toronto area i use McCalls Cake and Chocolate Supply , there located in the west end of Toronto
here's a link to there website : http://www.mccalls.ca/
hope that helps and good luck icon_biggrin.gif

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 8

hi, I am also from canada (london) bulk barn sell's high ratio shortening icon_wink.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #5 of 8

I too use Bulk Barn hi-ratio.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #6 of 8

I think all the Bulk Barn's carry it. When I was still in Calgary and my MIL was visiting I had her pick me up some so I could try it out. I haven't been in a Bulk Barn in years but I do not she had to get it it in the "bulk" area and put how much she wanted in a container herself. Bless her heart she brought me half a dozen containers and I called her only a couple hours before she was leaving for the airport!

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone. I purchased some shortening from Bulk Barn & followed Sugarshacks recipe after watching the buttercream DVD (I watched it twice & took notes). To say that there was a difference is an understatement. My cake came out smooth (looked like it was covered in fondant) & I even used an impression mat on the side after it crusted. So why were my results "pretty sad" before? Well, I used to "beat the crap" out if my icing, thinking this is what made it smooth. Also, the icing didn't cover the paddle, so air was introduced & so lots of bubbles. Also, letting the cake sit overnight after torting & filling before covering with buttercream (yes, just like sugarshack,I didn't even need to crumbcoat), I know made a difference.Thanks sugarshack for sharing your knowledge. I hope now by commenting, that I have passed something on to another "cake crazy" person.Yay cake!

aliciahere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciahere Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 8

I know that Cake Mischief now carries hi-ratio shortening on their online store, so if you don't have a bulk barn or mccals close: www.cakemischief.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%