Keeping Purple Fondant Purple

Decorating By sweetiej4 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 3:45am by kanwal

sweetiej4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiej4 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 6

hello!
this is my first time posting anything on a forum, so please bare with me!
i make many wedding cakes, sculpted cakes, etc. and use rolled fondant regularly.
i buy white, plain, rolled fondant in bulk and knead in colors using gel/pastes. i have been successfull in achieving every color i have tried to make, except purple.
within a few hours, and especially overnite, the purple fondant turns to a grayish-blue hue, and the bright vibrant purple has disappeared.
any ideas, suggestions, comments to help me sucessfully color fondant a bright purple color, and keep it that way?
thanks!

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 6

Purple color fades the fastest, unfortunately. Try purchasing the pre-colored purple fondant. They may have found a way to make it more color-fast. I do know to keep the fondant out of the light, esp. flourescent light, as that makes it fade faster.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 6

I would suggest you look into Satin Ice Rollod Fondant. They have an outstanding purple that is bold and doesn't fade. I use all of their colors and they are always consistant and stay true, even after a few days. It's worth every penny! Best of luck to you!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:17am
post #4 of 6

Haven't tried this myself, so can't vouch for its effectiveness: http://www.bakedeco.com/a/chefmaster-liqua-gel-4416.htm

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #5 of 6

i love chefmaster colors...

kanwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanwal Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 6

I had something similar happen to me. I needed light purple fondant for a wedding cake and no matter what I did, my fondant kept changing to a baby blue. I was using McCalls white fondant. At first I thought it was the fondant so I went out and bought a whole new batch of fondant, same thing. Then I tried a new little jar of food colour, same thing happened. I finally had to switch to buttercream icing instead of fondant, thank God the family was okay with it! I am interested in what others will reply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%