Cake Flour, Bakers Flour - Whats The Difference?

Decorating By amberkw Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm by prterrell

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

Some recipes call for bakers flour, or cake flour. I have either self rising or enriched/bleached. Whats the difference?

3 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 4

I've never heard it called baker's flour, but cake flour has less protein (which, in turn will create less gluten when used in a recipe, resulting in a more tender cake) than AP flour. Self-rising flour is cake flour with leavening added, so unless your recipe specifically calls for self-rising flour, you shouldn't use it.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 4

My betty crocker cookbook says that if your recipe calls for cake flour, and you only have all-purpose/bleached/regular flour, you can use the AP flour as long as you remove two tablespoons for every cup the recipe calls for.

Similarly, if you have cake floru and the recipe calls for AP flour, you can add 2 tbsp. of cake flour for every cup called for in the recipe.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 4

There is an excellent explanation of all the different kinds of flour here:

Quote by @%username% on %date%