To Airbrush Fondant Or Just Color The Fondant???

Decorating By neelycharmed Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 11:25am by Malakin

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 16

Hi,
I am thinking about buying an airbrush gun, and was wondering how useful would it be to me. I mainly do wedding cakes and birthday cakes (with fondant)
I don't want to spend $600.00 on something I'm just going to use every now and then.
Do you airbrush over fondant to get your color, or do you just color your fondant?
TIA,
Jodi icon_smile.gif

15 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 16

Actually, both! some colors such as light pastels, color nicely in the fondant/gumpaste, but I find the darker the color the easier it is to airbrush it on! LOTS of uses for an airbrush....mine is more than 30 years old and STILL gets a lot of use!

jenbug_8806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbug_8806 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 16

I bought my airbrush about a year ago and it is the best thing that I have ever bought for my cakes! It saves so much time and work! I love mine and I only paid $200 for mine on Airbrush City . com .

neelycharmed Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 16

thanks! I used a airbrush gun at the bakery I worked at, but it wasn't very good- it kind of had a wide spray so it covered way too much of the cake.

Is there a certain brand that is better then the other?

I'm hopefully going to buy one next month...
Happy Birthday to me! lol
icon_smile.gif
Jodi

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 16

I own a Badger and a GREX. Hands down the GREX gun is much better to work with. I just used the same compressor.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 16

I too love my airbrush..I use it on nearly every cake ...especailly to spray in pearl.I have the kopykake airmaster and it is really good.

neelycharmed Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 16

The kopycake airbrush system is what I was thinking about getting.
Its the complete kit with compressor, and a starter kit with colors..
I know i will need many more then 12! lol
Thanks For letting me know which brand you use !
icon_smile.gif

sweetiej4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiej4 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 16

i love my airbrush as well, and i highly reccommend it... you can buy some books or take a class to learn more uses for it. or you can just play around with it!
my aribrush seems to be "spitting" at times... anyone know how to fix it? it is not clogged...i have replaced the needle as well...
thanks!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 16

The only time mine spits is if I've used lustre in it. I have DH take care of it. He completely disassembles it and cleans it with the solution....toothpicks...needles...brings it back and it's fine....until I use the lustre again.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #10 of 16

I just got an airbrush and I wish I would have bought one sooner.

Now I'm going to be really careful about what I say, and others can jump in on what they believe too:

From what I researched, the main concern for a compressor is that it's oil-less since you're using it for food. All the airbrushes I have seen for food or otherwise are the same.

I found a small, oil-less 40 psi compressor with an airbrush kit at Harbor Freight for about $70. The thing works awesome! Compared with some of the prices of Kopycake, you could buy 4 of these to one Kopycake. It has an inline moisture knockout so the air is nice and dry. The only thing missing is a pressure regulator (if you want one) and you can pick an inline one up really cheap.

I talked with another memver hear a week or so about the same... they wanted a 50 psi. I think my 40 psi is fine, but you get what you want to get. I think 40 psi could blow a hole in fondant and BC let alone going to 50 psi.

Any way... maybe this will help you with your decision to get one. Hope that helps! Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #11 of 16

wow, i have never seen an airbrush system for cakes that costs $600.00.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #12 of 16

I would airbrush if it was a darker color. I would actually prefer airbrush because it's a lot easier.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #13 of 16

But that's if I had an airbrush machine

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:29am
post #14 of 16

I am on my second airbrush. First one was stolen. I love using it, mixing colors and so on. If mine spits its dirty. What I love most is the awesome look you get. That shiny glow that tells everyone you worked ever so hard and their cake is special. You can't get that from mixing.

There are some heavy duty airbrush sets that are pricey but the cost is in the compressor. The advice I was given is that if you are going to use the airbrush often, almost daily, use heavy duty like the bakeries do. otherwise a low cost compressor will work out fine.

HTH

neelycharmed Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 10:48am
post #15 of 16

Hi,
cakeroach... $600.00 is what it costs for me here in NL, Canada.
that's the only one I can find in Canada,
I would buy one from the states but with the customs fees/$ rate its probably not much of a difference in price.
My birthday is next month.... now I know what to tell hubby to get me...
yay me!!
thanks everyone!
Jodi

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:25am
post #16 of 16

My daughter bought this for me for xmas. Love it! It is an intermediate model so quite easy for beginners. Comes with LARGE americolor bottles of color, tape for connections, dual brush. I thought it was an awesome deal. You can also order it from their website www.tcpglobal.com
It wasn't overkill, didn't cost too much and if I can remember, shipping was about $50.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAKE-DECORATING-AIRBRUSH-KIT-12-Food-Colors-Compressor_W0QQitemZ200377624951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea76fe977&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Mine also wouldn't work initially, they immediately sent another one when I called, didn't eve want me to return the first, and also gave me tech support on the phone.

I airbrush everything I can anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%