First Wedding Cake

Decorating By Sosochoco Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm by Sosochoco

Sosochoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sosochoco Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, I am making my first wedding cake for a very good friend's wedding. I really don't make cakes commercially just for family and friends. I am really panicked about this cake I really want it to crown her special day.

My first question is I have to travel 4 hrs to the wedding. The wedding is on saturday I will get there on friday afternoon/evening. I had planned to cover the cakes in fondant before leaving and just mounting the cakes and finishing the decorating at the venue. But I have started to rethink this idea because I am not sure if the fondant covered cakes will keep in this heat for as long as 4 hrs. What do you think.

My second question is she wants a gold and lavender cake. I am making the cake gold and the flowers lavender. I wanted to give the fondant covered cakes some sparkle and sheen by painting on some pearl dust on the entire cake before attaching the flowers.

The pearl dust is FDA approved but my question is, is this safe to do and can people still eat the fondant covering the cake when it is covered in pearl dust.

PLEASE HELP. I need some good advice that only CCers can give. Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 5

the fondant covered caked will last just fine I would cover them before you leave. I dony knpw abput the dust. GOOD LUCK

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 5

Yes, cover them in fondant before and they will travel better for it. As for the pearl dust it will be safe, but to save you time, they sell pearl dust in cans (like hair spray) in all different colors and you can spray the cake with it and save yourself lots of money and time. I have used the pearl and gold and loved them. I think I got them at cakesbysam dot com. Hope that helps,
Sarah

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagneibo

Yes, cover them in fondant before and they will travel better for it. As for the pearl dust it will be safe, but to save you time, they sell pearl dust in cans (like hair spray) in all different colors and you can spray the cake with it and save yourself lots of money and time. I have used the pearl and gold and loved them. I think I got them at cakesbysam dot com. Hope that helps,
Sarah

I agree. I have pump brush (it looks like a blush brush but it's specifically made for cake luster dust). Anyway, it's amazing. Just a couple of minutes and the whole cake is dusted. It's missing right now or I'd tell you what brand it is. (I think my son stole it - the last time that happened he through away the dough hook to my KA). (He's not even 2 yet)!

Sosochoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sosochoco Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for all your helpful answers. unfortunately the wedding was before I got the replies, so I went with the cakes uncovered and had the craziest time of my life trying to get everything done. But now I know what to do next time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%