How Important Is Salt?!

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm by CakeMakar

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #1 of 18

I forgot to add salt to a scratch white cake recipe...

Has anyone ever done this before? Think it will be ok?

icon_cry.gif

17 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:33am
post #2 of 18

If it comes out anything like the cookies to which I forgot to add salt, you will want to re-bake. Very bland.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #3 of 18

I never add salt and nobody has ever noticed a difference in my family.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:41am
post #4 of 18

i don't usually bother adding salt to my cakes either and they have tasted fine and if I do it's only a pinch

Edited to say: Some cake recipes hardly use any salt anyway so if you left it out it is not going to change the taste that much. And yes if i feel that it is going to be really important in making other particular things i'll put it in

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:08am
post #5 of 18

Salt can bring out the flavors in desserts (makes ______ taste more like itself)
It can also be used to temper sweetness or play with the salty/sweet element like a salted caramel. Salt can be a great asset to a recipe.

That being said, I've seen recipes with & recipes without. I can tell when I've forgotten salt in a recipe I'm used to, but wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I'd never tried it before. I wouldn't present it to a chef, but your average Joe probably won't know.

I have heard some say they wouldn't put salt in their cakes because they wouldn't put it on them. They're a lot of things that go in cakes I wouldn't put on top...eggs, flour, baking soda. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:41am
post #6 of 18

I've omitted salt from every dessert recipe for over 30 years. It started when my first husband had high blood pressure and we had to cut salt in everyway we could. Even just 1/4 tsp in a batch of cookies would help.

Hasn't hurt the taste of anything I make.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:21am
post #7 of 18

As it was already said before: Salt in cakes is there to either bring the taste of spices or whatever better out, or to cut the sweetness. If you are beating egg whites, it is there to cut grease.
In this case, I would say "normal" people won't taste the difference.

But as your question goes: How important IS salt? I have to remember an famous Czech film "Once upon a time there was a King" where the main idea was "salt above gold". As the film was released in 1955 and is still one of the "Christmas films" and the "let watch the TV tonight film" even for adults, you can understand how ingrained is the importance of salt here...

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:07am
post #8 of 18

Don't forget there was probably salt in your butter, unless you deliberately use unsalted.

Then again, that may not be an option there. We have salted or unsalted butter here. I'm quessing it would be the same there?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 18

I'll jump on the "salt is really important" bandwagon. Salt is really, really, really, really important to the taste of baked goods. It enhances and deepens flavor, and it balances sweetness. If I were out of salt, I would make a special trip to the store to get it before I started any food project.

Here's a fun article about salt:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4128/is_200411/ai_n9464947/

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 18

If a recipe calls for salt I just add a pinch (or not!!) because of the salt in the butter. Butter is salted mainly to act as a preservative, unsalted butter is too bland plus it's more expensive.

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 18

This is very interesting... I hope you don't mind me adding another question to this post... What about using "salted butter" VS "unsalted butter"? I'm assuming that is also important? Unsalted butter is hard to find around here and often very expensive... but if it makes that much of a difference, I do want my end result to be "perfect"...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 18

The cake will be fine... you haven't rendered it inedible. But, for me, salt is like oxygen... I don't make ANYTHING without it... ever (even if a recipe doesn't call for it, it always gets a little pinch from me). Again, not that recipes become inedible without the salt, but with it, well it takes the flavors to another level. If you took away my salt you might as well cut off my right arm! lol.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #13 of 18

I can definitely tell the difference when I leave the salt out of my recipes or if I use unsalted butter in my icing. To me it tastes way too bland.

The last time I made sugar cookies and forgot the salt I threw out the whole batch because they were just nasty to me. I think it's a matter of taste and what you are used to. But if it's for a customer, I'd throw in at least a pinch.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie1977

This is very interesting... I hope you don't mind me adding another question to this post... What about using "salted butter" VS "unsalted butter"? I'm assuming that is also important? Unsalted butter is hard to find around here and often very expensive... but if it makes that much of a difference, I do want my end result to be "perfect"...

Many bakers (and chefs) use unsalted butter because that then allows them to control the amount of salt in a recipe. With salted butter, you may not know exactly how much salt is going in. I never bake or cook without salt - even just a pinch can enhance the flavor dramatically.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 18

Salt is super important. I tried some in smbc--it's a no go for me in that stuff but try baking bread without it--or rather don't try baking bread without it--which of course we're not talking about bread but anyway--very important, vital ingredient.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

The last time I made sugar cookies and forgot the salt I threw out the whole batch because they were just nasty to me. I think it's a matter of taste and what you are used to.

That may be it. Because when I eat other people's "baked from scratch" cookies, I can taste the salt in them and that's not appealing to me.

Fortunately most of my customers seem to agree with me! So it's not broked .... I'm not fixin' it! thumbs_up.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #17 of 18

I say salt is very important. There's a restaurant in town that goes to the trouble of homemade hot rolls and corn bread, but they are totally tasteless! If they would just add some salt!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #18 of 18

Salt can also used in butter to mask an inferior product. With unsalted, you're always getting the true taste of the butter. I always buy unsalted & add salt to my recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%