My First "real" Cake!

Decorating By scoobam Updated 25 Aug 2005 , 11:32am by talmas

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 21

Well, I had my very first cake order this past weekend... Boy was I nervous about pulling it off. I figure this is the kick off and that hopefully people there would see it, love it, and want ME. LOL So I knew it had to be good.

It was a cinderella cake. I was the one who posted about the kitchenaid bowl... but DH talked me out of it... so we used a wonder mold with a 2 in base cake since it was a real barbie (I am going to try the bowl though very soon... still think it'll work!).

Here she is..

It was all noncrusting buttercream... smoothed out as much as possible with hot water.. my new favorite smoothing technique!! (the stars were crusting)

The doll was a doctored devils food.. and the base was Toba Garrett's yellow cake from scratch. My first scratch cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif and it was SOO good!! I am in love with this recipe and can't wait to try to chocolate!

Here are the recipes if anyone is looking for them..

Toba Garrett Yellow and Chocolate cakes

You know the scratch cake was a big hit when more yellow cake was eaten than chocolate!! icon_surprised.gif

The lettering was the Disney font made from a thick consistency color flow. It was the best way I could think to get nice lettering on noncrusting buttercream. My freehand is the pits!

Dont mind the mess icon_lol.gif ... I am waiting on party pictures which will be better!

Anyway, just wanted to share especially because this site has been invaluable to me!! I have learned SOO much from all of you!!

T : )

PS. How do you experts transport these??? I had DH hold it in the car and we prayed all the way. LOL She was doweled really well... but we just couldn't figure out how you would usually transport a cake that doesn't fit in a box like this. THANKS!

20 replies
jlvmorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlvmorales Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 21

This turned out really great!!! Congratulations! Beautiful!

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 21

That looks great, you'll have more orders in no time thumbs_up.gif

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 21

Awwww...She turned out really pretty> Good job! thumbs_up.gif

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 21

That looks great-awesome-beautiful! I also love your font! How did you do it with color flow?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 21

That is a beautiful cake. I love the blues.

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 21

Good job!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 21

Great job, really wonderful!
I wouldn't use the Kitchen Aid bowl for a couple of reasons. I would worry about the handle and how it would take the heat. Plus, stainless steel is not the best conductor of heat and though it will cook eventually, it doesn't do the best job. That is why stainless stell pots always have a copper conductor on the bottom, if they do not, they are not good for even heat distribution. These bowls are a fairly heavy quality of stainless, but I would still worry about it possibly warping, some stainless can warp when placed in the oven and these are awfully expensive to replace.
I use moving boxes, if they are not brand new, I line them with foil that I tape all around. I line the bottom with the non-skid rubbery shelf liner from the dollar store. Moving boxes are much cheaper and are your best bet for these awkward shaped cakes. Cut the front sides down on one side, place cake in and tape up the front again. Use a utility knife to cut through the tape on location, so you can remove the cake. If the box is not high enough to close the top, either tape the flaps up or cut them off and tape a piece of foil in place of a lid.
You were lucky, the easy way of wrecking a cake is to have someone carry it. It is far safer on the floor of your car, haha! Likely you knew that!
Well it all turned out well so good for you!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 21

Scoobam,

That cake is awesome. I think you freehanded the lettering very well. The first thing I thought when I saw the picture without even reading any text was "Wow, how did she duplicate the Disney font?".

Great job! You should be proud.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 21

Looks great! Congratulations! The lettering looks great - when I make the letters off of the cake i have trouble transferring them to the cake without messing up the icing!

Debbie

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 21

Fabulous job! What a great idea for the lettering.

And thanks for posting the link to Toba's recipes. I needed a good from-scratch yellow cake for one I'm doing this weekend. They wanted yellow cake with Nutella filling. Should be interesting.

caketime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketime Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 21

What a great job!!!

This is how I transported a 3-d pig since I couldn't get a box to work and was going nuts about it. It was fine on the floor of my car between my feet.
LL

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 21

Congratulations on your first order, wishing you many more thumbs_up.gif

scoobam Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 21

Thanks everyone!! icon_smile.gif and thanks for the moving tips, that's a big help!!! Love that pig!! thumbs_up.gif

ckirkland... I just made a thick color flow... as if it was going to be royal icing.. but I thought I had a better chance of no breakage with color flow.

We did have some breakage.. but DH preformed a surgical operation with tweezers and then sprayed the color flow lightly with a spray bottle and it was magically like new!!

I still think there's got to be an easier way!!!! icon_lol.gif but I really prefer the noncrusting icing and that makes it challenging

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 21

your cinderella is beautiful!

squirellycakes has the right idea with plastic shelf liners -- they're very handy to keep things from shifting around.

in my experience with unusually-sized cakes, i like to try to determine what kind of box i'm going to use first (sometimes just the reinforced bottom of the box, and the cake travels on someone's lap in a car) and ensure that the cake is set on a larger board (larger than the cake) so that it fits as snugly as possible in the box and doesn't slide around too much. i've had great success using a new, clean "bankers" box (like for files), taped up on the inside so no flaps hang down, and set the cake in the "inverted" lid (which is like a tray), and then invert the box on top, and then tape up (of course, you'd have to make sure there is at least 2 inches of board all around the cake, so that the side of the cake doesn't come into contact with the box side even if it slides around). it makes for easy carrying, and you can cover the box with a garbage bag in case of rain...carry from the bottom. you can buy these at your local office supplies outlet. thumbs_up.gif

lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 21

Great cake!! Your story did make me laugh because it reminded me that behind every great cake is a supportive partner who is either holding the cake while your transporting it, calling the location to make sure we have the right address or tasting a new flavour combination and giving you their feedback. And no matter how badly things might go...they still think your cakes are the best.

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 9:48pm
post #17 of 21

Beautiful cake. Congratulations on your first "real" cake. May many more come your way.

Aunt-Judy, great idea on the banker's box.

scoobam Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 4:30pm
post #18 of 21

OOh.. thanks so much for the bank box tip... I love that idea!!

Lou.. you are very right... I can't even count the number of times I told DH "I couldn't have done this without you"

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 7:10pm
post #19 of 21

Your cake is sooooo cute! Great job on the colors, and the writing is just perfect! thumbs_up.gif

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 11:45pm
post #20 of 21

WOW, your cake is beautiful.

I was waiting to hear how the bowl worked, but I believe is Squirrelly is right. But for fsome reason I feel someone will still try and use the bowl, and when they do we all know they will let us know how it turned out.

Great job and here to many more orders party.gif . I am STILL waiting for my first one icon_cry.gif .

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 11:32am
post #21 of 21

Great job. I am sure you will get more business.

I use a rubbermaid container for transporting my cakes. I just make sure they know I want it back. Of course, I haven't gotten orders yet from people I don't know. Maybe some day.

I also use the shelf liners. I put one under the cake board in the container. I have a big one I leave in the back of my suv and I put the container on that. I don't have any problems with the cake sliding around.

Terri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%