Tv Show: Masters Of Reception

Lounge By indydebi Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 12:23am by LaBellaFlor

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 19

I'm watching my first episode of this show. I'm 15 minutes into it and already I'm disappointed.

The venue/caterer is having a staff meeting FOUR DAYS before the wedding. At this meeting ....

- The chef is told he has to make 3 vegetarian soups. Chef is shocked and not sure he can do it.
- Groom wants someone to teach him to dance, so one of the planning staff is assigned the job of finding a dance instructor. 4 days before the wedding.
- They want 2 guys to hand-roll cigars at a wedding. Someone is assigned to find 2 cigar roller guys. 4 days before the wedding.
- One couple wants a Mariachi (sp?) Band. 3 days before the wedding and they are just now auditioning the bands? The head guy says, "Ok, so we'll see you this weekend?" They waited to book the band 3 days before the wedding?

Maybe I'm naive or ignorant in the whole process, but who runs a wedding/catering/venue/planning business this way? GIving the chef the menu 4 days before the wedding is just not going to happen!

Geesh, I really hate fake "reality" shows!

18 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 19

Is this the one that Kelly Ripa and her husband are producing?

indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 19

I had to look it up on the 'net, but yes, it appears that Kelly Ripa is involved in this show.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 19

I had seen the previews for this and wanted to watch it, I didn't realize it was starting tonight.

Oh well, if you don't like it, I won't either...... icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #5 of 19

Yes....dkelly it is...I saw the premiere episode here a week or so ago and I was not really impressed either.I noticed them all running around and doing things for the bride and groom to "Surprise them" etc..Yeah...and at the end they hand them the bill for these extra things...one bride wanted Jamaican candy and they looked high and low for days for a supplier for Jamaican candy..They finally found some and it cost them a fortune to have it shipped over night for the amount they wanted..Now who do you suppose paid for that! They also got a giant photograph of one Brides Cats and put it on display in the lobby. I just think it is not reality because most of these places tell you what is included in their package and this is what you get..Period..No extras..No treats...No out of the way favors unless you intend on paying upfront. I just don't believe that this company runs around that much for each client unless they are being paid a bundle.Who knows..Maybe!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 19

I've seen this show and couldn't help but say "Fake" when certain things happened. Even my DH questioning it and he knows very little about the catering field.
I get too annoyed watching it.
It's almost like an insult to those who are actually working the real field and not the fake hollywood set field.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #7 of 19

Yeah, I saw that, and was thinking "Yeah, pull my other leg too"

Maybe they should call it Masters of Deception...

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:40am
post #8 of 19

Yeah, I could hardly wait for this show to come on, and it is a pretty big let down for me. They have to be fibbing about the time line. I cannot believe that they could do everything they are doing in such a limited amount of time. Sorry Kelly and Marc was hoping for better... icon_cry.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 19

I was trying to get over the fact that the one couple had 200 guests but only half of them could witness the ceremony. Where was the advice from the venue about how tacky that was? Can you just imagine the ones that didn't make the cut icon_confused.gif I'd probably take my gift and go home.

indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I was trying to get over the fact that the one couple had 200 guests but only half of them could witness the ceremony. Where was the advice from the venue about how tacky that was? Can you just imagine the ones that didn't make the cut icon_confused.gif I'd probably take my gift and go home.

And how the bride had the list split in half just 3 hours before the wedding. Gosh almighty, she must be the most organized bride in the world. I'm not sure what I was doing 3 hours before my wedding, but I'm sure I didn't have time to lament over making an A list and a B list! icon_eek.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #11 of 19

wow indydebi...you would be the one to notice stuff like that icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . how funny! ...but, then again, that's what you do.

my daughter and i love that show! even with their mishaps!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #12 of 19

It's coming on in 5 minutes ... giving it another chance.... icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #13 of 19

They only have one script for this show! 6 minutes into the show and I've already ranted "OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to hubby TWICE!

4 days before the wedding:

- Head guy acts surprised they are doing a pig roast and asks "What do we have to order to do this?" YOU'RE ROASTING A WHOLE FREAKIN' PIG!!!!! YOU ACT SURPRISED AND NO ONE HAS ORDERED THE FREAKIN' PIG YET??????????? JUst like they did last week with the Czech soups.

- Just like last week's mariachi band, They need authentic African drummers. Head guy looks to catering director and tells him to find the drummers. Director looks surprised and says he has no idea where to even look to get drummers. Just like last week's mariachi band, they expect us to believe they wait until 4 days before the wedding to even start LOOKING for the band/musicians!

This place is too big and too elegant and has been in business too long to actually operate this way. What a freakin' joke!

indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #14 of 19

I can't stand it. Hubby just told me to take some Prozac!!

30 minutes into the show .....

The coordinator called the bride to see if the car arrived yet. The bride, who happens to be standing outside with her bridesmaids all lined up in a row,looks around and says, "uh, no, the car isn't here." (uh, like you have to LOOK for the car since you're not, like, you know, SITTING IN IT!)

So coordinator calls the drivers to find out where he is. Any good coordinator would have called the driver FIRST, found out where he was so she could call the bride WITH information, instead of potentially panicing the bride FIRST! Driver says he is stuck in traffic. Coordintor's eyes bug out in shock, like she's never head of a traffic jam before!

They have not been in business this long and not know how to handle this.

I can' even adequately describe that scene .... what a staged segment!

Miss Kelli R ... you're insulting all of us in the industry.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 19

with all the mishaps that they have, they still seem to pull it all off in the end...but we both know that that isn't what always happens.

you seem to really love this show. are you learning anything...or getting some helpful tips?? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebea

They have to be fibbing about the time line. I cannot believe that they could do everything they are doing in such a limited amount of time.

Indydebi, how long do you think does it take the first bride to come to YOU with the bright idea to make last minute booking or changes? But...but...it was on TV!!! Everybody can do everything last minute!!!

indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

you seem to really love this show. are you learning anything...or getting some helpful tips?? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

i'm learning what a low tolerance level I have! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Indydebi, how long do you think does it take the first bride to come to YOU with the bright idea to make last minute booking or changes? But...but...it was on TV!!! Everybody can do everything last minute!!!

Oh, I cover that in the sampling appt. I tell them they can make changes up to 5 days prior. "On Day 5, what I've got written down is what you're getting .... like it or not! icon_twisted.gif " They usually laugh with me tell me they understand completely!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #18 of 19

This show totally cracks me up!! I work part time for two caters and I can't imagine them running their business like this group. BUT - I'm trying to look past that and just see how the food is displayed and served, how the tables are decorated, etc. Oh yeah, and how to scare aways bear that come sniffing around the food!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:23am
post #19 of 19

I'm with your hubby. Prozac is definetly in need. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%