Help! It's Really Late & I Need To Finish My Buttercream

Baking By Roxybc Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 2:06am by LittleLinda

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I've just used my new Kitchen Aid mixer for the first time to make buttercream frosting, and it's totally changed the consitancy that I used to get with it while using my regular hand mixer. The icing isn't as light and fluffy as it is with the hand mixer. Now it's almost a sticky slick consistancy if that makes sense. It's quite dense and sticky, not airy and bubbly like it usually is when I use my hand mixer. What should I do? Just beat it for longer at a higher speed? Also, the beater wasn't getting right to the bottom or the sides of the bowl, so I was constantly having to stop the mixer, so I could scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl so everything could be blended in. What are your thoughts on both the texture/consitancy and the beater issue? Thanks!

PS - I did try adjusting the beater by loosening the screw as the manual said, but it's still not getting to the bottom.

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 7

Sometimes recipes take less liquid with the KA. Add some more powdered sugar.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 7

sounds like you may need to add some liquid to it. you might also want to invest in that new attachment for you ka...the one that beats and scrapes the bowl at the same time! icon_wink.gif

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

sounds like you may need to add some liquid to it. you might also want to invest in that new attachment for you ka...the one that beats and scrapes the bowl at the same time! icon_wink.gif

What attachment is that? I've never herad of it? Now I'm seriously considering if the Kitchaid was worth it. My husband paid double the price for it (£400) here in the UK and I don't want to have to be buying new attachments for it already.

As for the liquid, if I add any more, it won't hold it's shape when I pipe it. It's plenty soft, it just needs to be fluffier!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 7

Are you using the paddle or the whisk attachment? Try using the whisk attachment if you are using the paddle attachment.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 7

I hated my new kitchenaid until I got the scraper paddle. It reaches all of the sides AND the bottom. I mix my BC on the lowest speed....for a LONG time.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #7 of 7

I use my whip attachment, I use speed 8, and whip for two minutes. My BC is light and fluffy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%