Styrofoam Cake - How Much?

Decorating By buggus Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 12:13am by LaBellaFlor

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 9

Someone called me today asking me to make a cake for 330 people, but they want the top two tiers to be fake, and the bottom layer to be cake? How would I price it??

8 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 9

Cake for 330 and only 3 tiers....2 that are fake? Not gonna happen. Regardless, I believe most people on here charge the same as they would for real cake less 20%. For example - if the "real cake" would cost $100, you would charge $80 for the dummy tier.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 9

Yep. Just about 80% of the total price. And I think there are some gross miscalculations with serving charts somewhere. Unless you are triple stacking 16" rounds. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 9

I was about to say "1 layer for 300 people?!?!?". Not possible. You might want to point that out to them.

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 9

I know, I was going to tell her it's impossible to feed 330 with one layer, but she did mention they were giving away another cake, as it's a Jamaican wedding, but they wanted something to offer that's just normal, like a vanilla cake. I'm going to see how many people she wants to feed with that first. But, if dummy tiers on top, and say she only wants the bottom to feed 100, wouldn't I just charge for 100 people? I mean, styrofoam isn't much?

mrswendel Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 9

It's not just the styrofoam....it's your time to decorate it to match the real cake. Buttercream, fondant, flowers, etc, etc.....all take time!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggus

But, if dummy tiers on top, and say she only wants the bottom to feed 100, wouldn't I just charge for 100 people? I mean, styrofoam isn't much?

Oh I swear to high heaven, I've got my mom-finger out for you, young lady! icon_surprised.gif

Styrofoam isn't much? Have you priced it? I ran the numbers. Depending on the size, I'll sometimes spend more on styrofoam (and shipping) than I do on actual cake ingredients!

And it's not the cost of the cake (or in this case the styrofoam). They are not paying for the cake .... they are paying for the time and talent it takes to turn a piece of styrofoam into a sugary work of art. Are you REALLY willing to do all of that decorating work for free? Don't prostitute your talents!

Read this article in my blog. Memorize it. There WILL be a quiz. icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif
http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/fake%20cake

FYI: a 6/8/10/12/14/16 ... that's a 6-tiered cake ... serves about 306. THat's about 17 cake mixes. If you can find a pan that will hold the equivalent of 8 or 9 cake mixes, ... well , I want to see the oven it fits in. icon_eek.gif

mrswendel Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #8 of 9

I knew you would get here eventually indydebi icon_smile.gif. I have bookmarked your blog....makes it perfectly clear!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #9 of 9

I was about to say, have you everdecorated styrofoam. When you do you'll see why people charge 80% (I charge 75%) of an actual cake. Also, are you ok with another cake being there that you didn't make? For me thats a serious quality control issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%