To Lustre Dust Or Not

Decorating By jewelzbakescakes Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 5:58am by JanH

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 10

Another question about the wedding cake i am making for this weekend....i have the two dummy layers covered and decorated and stuck to the cake board. I covered the cakeboard in fondant and used the graceful vines impression mat. I painted the covered cake board with vodka/crystal lustre dust and I love how it looks...so I was thinking about doing the whole cake with the lustre dust, but I'm so scared to take the first step because then I am committed to doing all 4 layers. Has anyone done this, did it take forever? I know I have seen pics in the past where the whole cake is done with it but I can't seem to find one now.

9 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 10

Before doing the entire cake I would check with your bride. With luster dust sometimes less is more. What about just using it on the boarders to highlight the details?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 10

I think it could take a while. I know sometimes people will use a shimmer spray or a pearl airbrush color. Those would be faster than painting the whole thing.

jewelzbakescakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the replies, I probably won't do it, I bet the fully lustre dusted cakes are usually done with the airbrush like Texas_Rose said.

As for asking the bride, it's for a friend and she told me to do whatever icon_smile.gif I did lustre dust the beads and the cakeboard. Now I'm just waiting for Thursday so I can do the real layers!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 10

If you dry-brush it onto fondant, it doesn't take very long at all and gives a subtle shimmer. If you wet-brush it on, then yes, it can take a while, but it has more of a glow to it.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #6 of 10

I have a big soft poofy brush I got from the paintbrush aisle in Michael's that I use to drybrush fondant covered cakes. Just lightly brushed on fondant gives it a slight shimmer and doesn't take long.

jewelzbakescakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:06am
post #7 of 10

Cool thanks! I just dry dusted the two bottom layers and it is a nice subtle shimmer, so far so good! Next I just have to get through decorating the real tiers and get the thing there and assembled and then I'll be ok LOL!! Can't wait to get my first one out of the way!!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #8 of 10

I have petal dust for using on my gumpaste flowers. I also have pearl dusts and disco dusts that I know when to use.

I have (for some unknown reason) lots of luster dusts that I am not sure why I have them.

OK, can somebody tell me what luster dust is and what I should be using it on? detective.gif

Thanks, cb

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:34am
post #9 of 10

Aren't luster dusts pretty much the same as pearl dusts?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:58am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

OK, can somebody tell me what luster dust is and what I should be using it on? detective.gif

Everything you ever wanted to know about the various dusts:
(With hints & tips on how to use them.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%