How To Achieve This Cake?

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm by diane

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 9

Hi All,

So, my best friend of 20 years is getting married!! icon_biggrin.gif She has given me free reign on the design of her wedding cake....however a few months ago we were looking at pictures on line for her soon-to-be SIL and she found this picture and absolutely loved it. I kept a copy of it for some reason (intuition maybe thumbs_up.gif ).

I am guessing that the bands of colour are overlaid with spun sugar. What do you all think? If it is, does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
LL

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 9

To me it looks more like there are two ribbons there...the brown satin one and then the one with thin silver threads.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 9

Yes..I agree..It is either a double ribbon with the wider one being the spun threads or over lapped like Texas Rose suggested!!

mrswendel Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 9

Could be....like a sheer ribbon with just the threads running through it. I didn't even think of that...but definitely would be alot easier!! Thanks ladies!

mrswendel Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 9

Could be....like a sheer ribbon with just the threads running through it. I didn't even think of that...but definitely would be alot easier!! Thanks ladies!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 9

One thing if you do make it...see how there's yellow centers and brown centers on the gerbera daisies on it? It would look more together if all the gerbera daisy centers were the same color.

(yes, I'm weird about little details like that icon_biggrin.gif)

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 9

What if you made chocolate bands (wraps?) for the tiers with one of those acetate sheets where the design is on them & comes off on the chocolate?
I know it's not an exact replication, but it'll give you a similar appearance.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 9

I think it is 2 separate bands...but both being sugar though....the brown looking band would be pulled sugar ribbon and the thread looking band being spun sugar...both are moderately easy to achieve...I would say anyone who can follow directions can achieve success with this in a couple of tries.

Here is a starting point...

http://www.cake-decorating.us/spun-and-pulled-sugar.html

the threaded band can be made as a sheet then cut with a sharp, greased on the blade knife using a greased ruler as a guide...a warming lamp will help keep in pliable until it's attached.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 9

it looks to me like they took brown ribbon and spun sugar slightly over the edges and cut it to get it even to get that effect. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%