Octagon From Round

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm by happy1mom

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a round cake (not cut it) and then pipe some royal or chocolate lattice to make a boxing ring, and it needs to be an octagon.

Does anyone know a math formula I can use to figure out how wide to make each lattice? Its a 10" round.

You wouldn't know I'm a math teacher.... icon_razz.gif ...or WAS...I prefer caking!

Anyway I'm sure its just "bake the cake and figure it out yourself" but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask!

3 replies
emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 4

If I understand you right, I think you would mark the cake as if you were cutting it into 8 pieces. First cut it in half, then turn it 90 degrees, and cut it in half again so that you have 4 pieces. Then cut each of those in half and you have eight. But you aren't going to actually cut the cake, just mark it where the cuts would have been. Along the perimeter, you will have 8 marks. That would make your octagon. (I thought boxing rings were square icon_confused.gif ).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccle

If I understand you right, I think you would mark the cake as if you were cutting it into 8 pieces. First cut it in half, then turn it 90 degrees, and cut it in half again so that you have 4 pieces. Then cut each of those in half and you have eight. But you aren't going to actually cut the cake, just mark it where the cuts would have been. Along the perimeter, you will have 8 marks. That would make your octagon. (I thought boxing rings were square icon_confused.gif ).

I dunno, its some kind of special boxing or wrestling, I just do what the lady says.

haha thanks, why didn't I think of that? Sheesh.

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 4

I made a small octagon shaped cake for the hubby' b-day (mma fan) It was last minute, so I baked a round 10, printed out an octagon shape from Powerpoint program, cut that out, laid it on top of the cake and lightly pressed a knife around the edges to mark the octagon shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%