Unbelievable!!! I Can't Believe The Lady @ Cake Supply Store

Decorating By madras650 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 5:09am by kaseyrconnect

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 20

told me to use americolor gel paste to color chocolate. I KNOW that it does not work on chocolate. It is water based, it will make the chocolate hard and unusable.

I drove 40 minutes to the cake store to get black candy coloring.

They did not have any so I asked the girl that was working if they had any in the back.

She told me she uses americolor gel paste all the time to color her white chocolate and it works fine.

I am not an argumentative person, but I stated to her there is no way that could work. She started arguing with me like I didnt know what I was talking about.

I finally just said "O.K." and left.

of course when I got home I tried using my americolor with a little bit of chocolate and I WAS RIGHT.

What in the world is this woman working in a cake supply store giving out information like this. I am calling and talking with the owner tomorrow. I am not one of those people who likes to get others in trouble at work but come on
!

Can you tell I am PI@#ed off? RRRRRRR icon_evil.gif

19 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #2 of 20

well i have been successful in adding a little americolor to chocolate, but you can only achieve a very pale color before you ruin your chocolate.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 20

I added americolor red to wilton's white chocolate melting chips to make roses and it worked pretty good. I won't use it with real chocolate though.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #4 of 20

I think the difference may be using it with 'real' chocolate as opposed to "melting chocolate".....maybe...though I'm not certain.

what city in Ohio was this store? There is one in the Cincinnati area that I no longer take any advice from.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 20

I was using Americolour in my white modelling chocolate and it seemed to work okay, but I've never really done much with modelling chocolate as of yet; just fooling around with it. Should I not be using it?

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 20

I can make black chocolate using Americolor. I do it all the time.

I start with dark chocolate candy melts, they are already dark and that way you dont have to add as much color. Add your black coloring to achieve the color that you want. Add small dollops of shortening until the chocolate returns to the consistancy that you want. It works.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #7 of 20

Here is an example. I used the black chocolate to do the outlining on Patrick. You just stir the shortening in gently until it returns to the consistancy that you want.
LL

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #8 of 20

Americolor sells a "color flo-coat" its in a small bottle just like the color gels and you just put a few drops of that in with your melted chocolate along with your regular americolor and it works fine and doesnt seize. Its nice because you dont need to keep 2 sets of coloring on hand. I have used it several times.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I was using Americolour in my white modelling chocolate and it seemed to work okay, but I've never really done much with modelling chocolate as of yet; just fooling around with it. Should I not be using it?

You're fine using regular colors in MODELING chocolate, because you're already adding water-based products (corn syrup) to the chocolate to make it seize up in a controlled manner. If you want to leave it like regular chocolate, you need to use *chocolate* coloring, or the powdered kind.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #10 of 20

I have used it too..and it works, I never gone as deep as black but I have used it for lighter colors
Edna icon_smile.gif

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #11 of 20

Clearly the woman in the supply store was not as knowledgeable about these products as she should have been. Water based color is going to make chocolate or candy melts seize. I use, and sell, Americolor in my shop. They make a product called Flo-Coat. It is an oil that is added to your chocolate or candy melts, thus allowing the addition of any Americolor soft gel color (not the airbrush or Bright White colors as they are not gel colors).

OP, you are right to be angry. Her lack of knowledge could have caused you to ruin your product. I would definitely have a talk with the owner, and mention the Flo-Coat.

madras650 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I think the difference may be using it with 'real' chocolate as opposed to "melting chocolate".....maybe...though I'm not certain.

what city in Ohio was this store? There is one in the Cincinnati area that I no longer take any advice from.

This is in Richmond Hts. east of Cleveland

madras650 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I start with dark chocolate candy melts, they are already dark and that way you don't have to add as much color. Add your black coloring to achieve the color that you want. Add small dollops of shortening until the chocolate returns to the consistency that you want. It works.

I guess I have to try the shortening trick.
I used dark chocolate and I put in 1 tiny drop to do my test. It seized right up in a ball.

I cannot believe all the people that use Americolor in chocolate and it works, but I will give it one more try. thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by madras650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I start with dark chocolate candy melts, they are already dark and that way you don't have to add as much color. Add your black coloring to achieve the color that you want. Add small dollops of shortening until the chocolate returns to the consistency that you want. It works.

I guess I have to try the shortening trick.
I used dark chocolate and I put in 1 tiny drop to do my test. It seized right up in a ball.

I cannot believe all the people that use Americolor in chocolate and it works, but I will give it one more try. thumbs_up.gif

The shortening works like magic!..I do love that trick!.. By the way use merkens chocolate so I am not sure if that makes a difference..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif
Edna

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I just went to one in Cinci last week and while the selection was great, the woman working there had no clue what she was talking about. It always amazes me why someone would hire someone to work in a specialty store who doesn't actually do what they specialize in.

madras650 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

Well if it works for you than go for it. You must be doing something right. I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am going to try adding in shortening, we will see if that works for me. thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #17 of 20

I use shortening all the time to get my chocolate back to whatever consistency I need...I know sometimes my chocolate starts clumping up onme and I stir in crisco and keep stirring until its back to where I need it, but I can't remember ever coloring it....I usually buy the color chocolate I need.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #18 of 20

I've used Americolor gels with CANDY MELTS and it didn't seize up, but when I used it with white chocolate it ruined the whole bowl of melted chocolate.

There's obviously a difference in the makeup of candy melts vs. white chocolate and I think the sales girl needs to be educated on those differences and what to tell customers to be helpful instead of being argumentative.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #19 of 20

You can add color to compound chocolate, coveture chocolate what evr you call it. It's not real chocolate. It's chocolate flavored candy.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:09am
post #20 of 20

I just tried adding americolor gel to some candy melts yesterday and it didn't work. I will try using shortening in it the next time. I also may have had some candy melts that weren't that good to begin with because i tried to melt the green ones and they just got all clumpy and i couldn't get them to get smooth and creamy for the life of me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%