A Question About Red Color Along With A Funny Story

Decorating By ape74 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm by ape74

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 15

I want to know what experiences all of you have had with red icing. I made a cake for my friend this weekend. I decided to make lots of cakes for friends and family as practice. I decided to make a "strawberry" cake....not flavored, but the one that looks like a big strawberry. I had to put lots of red color. I finished a whole bottle. I'm sure you're all familiar with that. Anyway, it was extremely messy. I had heard that too. That is not the funny part. My friend takes this cake to her friend's house. She texts me later and says that it may have been a little too much red because her teeth were all red. Lol! She said she didn't realize it until she went to the restroom and saw herself in the mirror. Her friend's hands and lips were also red! Then yesterday she calls me and says that red color is definitely not for her and will never eat it again because she went to the restroom and...........ahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! I laughed so hard that my stomach is still sore. Everytime I remember, I start cracking up. She said she spoke to her friend and that he told her, "I think she put too much red color'". LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The same thing happened to him when he went to the restroom. It's even funnier because my friend said she panicked but then realized why it was happening. Hilarious! Has something similar happened to any of you> How can I avoid that? Just had to shared!

14 replies
jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 15

That story is way too funny! When I started decorating with an airbrush I freaked out one day because my snot was coming out weird colors it took me awhile to realize that it was from the color in the air. I was breathing it in through my nose. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 15

Okay so I usually do not laugh at posts, or the email forwards or any of that stuff....I can not stop giggling right now. icon_cry.gif (that would be me crying from laughter)

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #4 of 15

Strangely enough, my lips, mouth and hands have looked like that before.

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 15

That happened to me too, but with royal blue!!

ape74 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenscakes

That story is way too funny! When I started decorating with an airbrush I freaked out one day because my snot was coming out weird colors it took me awhile to realize that it was from the color in the air. I was breathing it in through my nose. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That is funny jensenscakes. I called my sister on Saturday right after my friend text me and we were laughing so hard that my brother in law started laughing too in the background without actually knowing what my sister was laughing at. Now, can you just imagine how hysterical she got when I told her today about what happened to them when they went to the restroom??? icon_biggrin.gif

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 15

I've had the same issue with the rainbow airbrush snot! I usually talk customers out of the red icing due to staining. Especially with kids! You've got me thinking it'd be a funny joke to play on a friend though... icon_smile.gif

ape74 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

I've had the same issue with the rainbow airbrush snot! I usually talk customers out of the red icing due to staining. Especially with kids! You've got me thinking it'd be a funny joke to play on a friend though... icon_smile.gif

lol...

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #9 of 15

Does anybody remember the Hulk promotional Hershey's Chocolate syrup from a few years ago? It was green, and as you'd imagine it takes a LOT of green food coloring to turn chocolate syrup green. (Not too appetizing IMO, but my son really wanted it...)

Well, a friend's very persnickety brother was at our house, and he saw the syrup and had to have a glass of chocolate milk. Well, long story short, he called us the next day to accuse us of having fun at his expense.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #10 of 15

i use the americolor super red and find that i don't have to use as much. icon_wink.gif

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #11 of 15

FYI Trix yogurt does funny things when your kid goes to the bathroom....also, my son (5) loves beets and one day he ate a whole can! (spread throughout the day)...he peed pink! and of course had to show me!

ape74 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #12 of 15

These are all funny stories and thanks Diane, I will try Americolor next time.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:28am
post #13 of 15

My cousin *HAD* to get that green Hershey's syrup when it came out... Yeah, all bodily fluids (and solids) were green for a while! HA!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 15

Seems like a good idea for April Fool's Day icon_wink.gif lol

*Tip* Make your icing bright orange (pumpkin orange) and then add in the red food coloring. You won't have to add as much this way. Let it set for a few hours or days and the color will deepen.

ape74 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

Seems like a good idea for April Fool's Day icon_wink.gif lol

*Tip* Make your icing bright orange (pumpkin orange) and then add in the red food coloring. You won't have to add as much this way. Let it set for a few hours or days and the color will deepen.

Thanks sambugjoebear! I will definitely try it that way too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%