Silver Decorations

Decorating By JoJo4 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm by tonedna

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I have a cake due this weekend and she asked for silver lettering and flowers. I have never seen silver tint so I have no clue how to achieve this. Do you use grey? Do you dust the decorations with the pearl dust? Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Joanne

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 8

You can use gray fondant and then paint it with a mix of silver luster dust and vodka. If you're using Wilton's luster dust it's more of a sparkly gray than silver. I did a whole cake with it...the Thor's Hammer cake in my picture, if you'd like to see how Wilton's luster dust looks on gray fondant.

Since then, I've tried Americolor's silver airbrush color and it is a lot more metallic. I don't have an airbrush so I paint it on with a paintbrush and it works very well. You don't have to put it on gray fondant, I've used it on top of black or white and gotten a good silver effect.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 8

I start with grey fondant and paint it with Crystal Colors Pearlized Bright Silver FDA approved luster dust mixed with Everclear (clear drinking alcohol).
http://www.sugarpaste.com/catalog/orderPearlColors.htm

I get a wonderful bright silver result that isn't tacky (airbrush colors that aren' put thru an airbrush stay sticky).

HTH
Rae

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 8

DITTO!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I get a wonderful bright silver result that isn't tacky (airbrush colors that aren' put thru an airbrush stay sticky).

Maybe it's the difference in climate, but they dry just fine for me. I've painted an entire cake with them before and it dried overnight. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 8

Could be.........it's been awfully hot & dry in the San Antonio,TX area, whereas, it's been cool and normal humidity here in Cleveland,OH.

Rae

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 8

thanks for all the suggestions, this is great and it takes care of how I will do the flower deocrations but what about the writing on the cake? Should I just use grey?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 8

You can handpaint lettering with vodka and luster dust mix.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%