Why Does My Cake Look Like This???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all!

I use Sharon Zambito's buttercream tips with all my cakes. However, I always have a problem with my cakes. The top of my round cakes have a wave to them.

Keep in mind this was a test cake to show my problem. Even when I do all of Sharon's smoothing Tech. I have the same problems.

Any tips is appreciated...

Thank you
LL

3 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 4

Hi!

That is just a factor of how you are moving your becnh scraper aorund the cake. It is drifting a bit when go aorund and not keeping it a complete circle. Sometimes i do that too. and you can go back ( before it is crusted) and take off the excess with your scraper in the areas that are sticking out too far.

also, it might help to use a cake circle under the tier to butt your scraper against unsitl you get the hang of it. That will kepp it a perfect circle.

HTH some!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 4

Sharon's recipe and directions are perfect - but....... this looks to me like the icing might be a bit dry so it's not smoothing quite right.
Have you tried adding *just a bit* more liquid?

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 4

This was a test cake.

The icing I used on this cake. The icing was left over icing that I had saved. It actually was smooth as silk as the original receipe. However, when I do a regular cake I have the same issues.

Someone in a previous post mentioned something about directions being easily to understand or directions are perfect....I am following directions as instructed, I guess it will take some more practice....

Thank you for your help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%