Questions To Ask

Business By kimb Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 11:29pm by indydebi

kimb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimb Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

When int4erviewing a new Bride-to-be, and she has no idea of what kind of cake she is interested in, what are some of the first questions you ask?
Or do you just let her start looking at pic's of everything.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 5

I ask her to start describing what kind of wedding she wants--elegant, casual, party time, famly time.

I mean usually by the time to order cake there's already been a coupla decisions made for example, what kind of dresses for how many attendants, what's her colors, what kind of music, food, venue so I just start trying to zero in on them.

Do you like round cakes? Square? Heart shaped? Scalloped? White, Blue, pillars, stacked, very ornate, scrolls, 'simple' aka little decor etc.

Ideas for you.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 5

What's your cake budget?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

What's your cake budget?

That's a good one!

I start with how many people the cake has to serve, then whether they like round or square tiers. That gives them an idea of what shape they're working with. Then I ask whether they have a topper or not, whether they want flowers on the cake, if they want color or more monochromatic, etc. They look through pictures if they're still clueless and you can note what catches their eye, then find some commonality in the things they like to narrow it down.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 5

Costumeczar, agree with "how many and what shape?" Then I tell them "WIth that number of servings, you can have a 3-tier square or a 4 tier round" and we go from there.

Also, never give them more than two choices at a time.
- Do you like round or square?
- Do you like the cakes touching (stacked) or do you like pillars between the tiers?"
- Do you want all one flavor or do you want multiple cake flavors?

Their answers can guide you thru the next question (like the flavors question).

I also need to know up front where the reception will be so I can determine if there will be any delivery charges or if the venue charges me any kind of access fee that I need to include in my invoice to the bride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%