3-Inch Or 2-Inch Deep Pans?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 4

I've only used a 3-inch deep pan once....long ago. I didn't like it. But I'm tired of the hump on my 2-inch cakes. Sometimes the edges don't reach all the way to the top of the 2-inch top anyway so they're not actually 2-inches when I level them. I wondered if using a 3-inch pan gets a flatter top and I can get a true 2-inch layer. I'm getting ready to buy some new pans, so I wonder if I should invest in 2-inch or 3-inch ones. Any opinions from those who've used both? Thanks!

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, all my cake tins are 3" tall. When I bake cakes, I use flower nails, instead of a heating core. So all my cakes come out flat. But when I level and cover them with fondant, the cakes are 3" or more tall! icon_smile.gif

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 4

I usually use 3 inch pans because I'm just too pressed for time to use 2 pans per layer when I could use one. Filled 2/3 they bake up nice and big. Half the amount of pans mean half the amount of space in my oven and half the pans to clean/store. I live in a townhouse with an 11x8 kitchen so any space savings sells me. icon_lol.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys! I think I'll try the 3-inch pans again. Last time I don't think I used a heating core or flower nail (totally sold on the flower nails!). Hopefully I'll have better luck this time. Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%