Attaching Fondant To Rkt

Decorating By Meagazz Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:14am by Rylan

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone,

I am making a 3D puppy for a cake topper on an upcoming birthday cake and I am wondering if I can just put the fondant right on top of the RKT or if I still have to ice so the fondant will stick!

... And I guess while I am at it, the cake is for Saturday morning and I am very busy this week and was thinking of making it on Wednesday... will it still hold up/look ok by the weekend?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Meagazz

10 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 11

The last time I attached fondant to RKT I used piping jelly.. it worked really well.. icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 11

I have done 3 RKT covered things in fondant. One is half of the round ladybug tier in the ladybug birthday and the other is the Otis cow in my funny Father's Day and the last is the eagle head on the Fourth of July cake. The eagle needed to have many layers of feathers so I just stuck them on- not at all conserned with smoothness. The cow needed to be smooth so I put just the thinest layer of BC really only to fill in the little holes and pock marks in the RKT and it worked great. For the lady bug I iced it just as I would cake and covered and it was flawless. All methods worked for me. Just keep in mind the outcome you want to deside on what to try. Have fun!!! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 11

I also use buttercream to fill in the holes - thus giving my fondant a smooth look.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #5 of 11

I've used bc to cover it but I also roll the fondant out thicker than usual.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 11

I poured melted chocolate over mine and then covered it in mmf.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #7 of 11

I use RI to cover RKT, and then sand to make it good and smooth. I like the idea of using melted chocolate, sounds like you wouldn't have to do any more before covering with fondant.

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 11

Those are all great ideas! Thank you everyone! Now as to when I can start this... if the cake is for Saturday, will the puppy hold up until then if I make it Wednesday night? Would I be ok if I just put it in an air tight container?

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 11

I'd be leery of an air tight container. You might have problems with condensation. A cool place and a box to keep it clean should do the trick. Can't wait to see the cake.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 11

Yeah- NO air tight containers! Just cover the box with a towell or something. Don't make the RKT to dry. I use less butter then called for and a lot less crispies so the batch will hold together really firmly. Too much butter makes it harder for buttercream or anything else to stick to it. Squish your shape together really well and you can flatten the outer layer or crispies (kind of like popping bubble wrap) to make it smoother.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #11 of 11

I just rub shortening on the RKT and that will help the fondant stick to the RKT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%