Whitby, Ontario Business Regs?

Business By cakecitycakes Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 4:41am by G_Cakes

cakecitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecitycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

Does any have some info. on the regulations in Whitby, Ontario as it relates to being a cake decorator out of your own home? I've been researching and can't find anything very helpful, I know some regions require a separate kitchen but I'm just not sure for my region. As well if anyone knows the ins and outs of a home-based decorator selling to a restaurant. Any links to the relevant info. that would be so super helpful too. I plan on doing the certification that gives me a Food Handler certificate as a start.

Many thanks in advance,

7 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 8

Nicole - there used to be an article on the CC home page about starting a cake business in Canada. Since they re-did the website, it's not there anymore, and I can't find it in the Articles section either. Don't know what happened to it or whether it would be of help to you?? Maybe someone else knows where it went?

On a side note, if you are on Facebook, we have a cake group called Ontario Cake Girlz. It's a members-only group, but all you have to do is send a message to the group administrator, telling her you are an Onatrio caker. If you are not already aware of this group, please join us!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry I can't help, but I would love to know more info as well. I have search for hours and haven't found any solid info. I'm not sure who to contact first or where to begin.
What exactly is a food handler cert.?

cakecitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecitycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 8

Hi Kello,
The food handler cert. was something a restaurant owner put me onto - they have all they staff be 'certified' and it is managed through the dept. of health in each region. Here is a link in Durham, http://www.durham.ca/health.asp?nr=/departments/health/health_protection/fdprep.htm&setFooter=/includes/health/healthFooterEnviro.txt .

Hey Tracey, I'm on facebook too so I'll definitely join the group and thanks! I'll keep looking for the article on cc too.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the info, and the facebook info too Tracey.
I once looked at the article on here and it wasn't very helpful at all....well for me anyway. I don't know what happened to it, but there wasn't much.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 8

Wow...I live in Oshawa and I am trying to get set up here and let me tell you it is a process!!!

Municipal and provincial licensing, zoning, health and building regulations.

If you want to PM me and I will send you via email all the links to websites that will have the info you need from durham region.

Hope you like to read cause there is a lot of reading to do LOL.

Miss Lizzy

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 8

I wonder if the rules are the same across Ontario. I live in Toronto and would like some information on this.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:41am
post #8 of 8

Meenu the best thing you could do is to go to the City of Toronto web site, from there click on By-Laws.

The ones you will have to read are Zoning, Health, Fire and Building By-laws.

I am sure they will be very similar to what we are reading here in Durham Region.

Also you will have to obtain a municipal license and a provincial license.

I don't know what the cost of them would be in Toronto but I am sure you could find out from the web site...good luck and message me if you need any help navigating through all the reading icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%