Cricut Cakes....pictures

Decorating By Charmed Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 6:55am by silverdragon997

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:12pm
post #31 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippilotta

I used my cricut whit SCAL and don't need various cartidges. One cartrige in the machine is enough and you can cut out all fonts and pictures you find in the web....

this is also what I use and love it

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #32 of 137

I feel like a newbie again, what is SCAL?

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #33 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesmade4u

Lecrn I did the cut on my (frosting sheets) edible image sheets, then peeled and air brushed, then put luster dust...very easy. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks. It would probably be easier to use the frosting sheets. Could you tell me what settings you use with this & which blade?
Is there a good place to purchase the sheets online?

lecrn Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #34 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

I feel like a newbie again, what is SCAL?

Sure Cuts A Lot. It's software that you can buy & download onto your computer. You have to install it using Windows right now, but they're supposed to be coming out with the Mac version this Fall. It basically lets you save different fonts & images from the internet. I paid $75 for mine, but it's well worth it b/c the cartridges for the Cricut are very expensive. I've saved a ton of stuff so far & all of it has been free downloads.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #35 of 137

SharonK1973 can you share what cartridge or how you did the wedding cake and the flowers and grass on the two photos you shared. You are amazing, I need a couple of days to learn all this, can't wait. Have all the stuff, just need time. Thanks to everyone for sharing. These cakes are amazing.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:13pm
post #36 of 137

What is SCAL and is there a website? Thanks

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm
post #37 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesmade4u

Lecrn I did the cut on my (frosting sheets) edible image sheets, then peeled and air brushed, then put luster dust...very easy. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks. It would probably be easier to use the frosting sheets. Could you tell me what settings you use with this & which blade?
Is there a good place to purchase the sheets online?

I also use Cricut with edible image sheets...have for a couple years. Use the blade that comes in the machine. You can also airbrush the image paper so you have the color you need (or of course, airbrush the cutouts).

I get my paper from Icing Images in VA. There is a website. Great service and fast shipping.

Should your cut outs tear while cutting you will need to remove the blade (very easy) and wipe off the bottom and surrounding area.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #38 of 137

can the standard cricut be used or does it have to be the cricut expressions?

DDiva Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #39 of 137

I have the standard Cricut.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:31pm
post #40 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiva

I have the standard Cricut.

Are you happy with the standard size or would the large one be better/easier for cake applications? I don't want to buy one to find that I would rather have the other... And at the same time I don't want to spend more money than I would have to. TIA

DDiva Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #41 of 137

I bought the 'standard' Cricut for $99 a couple of years ago at Wally World. It suits my needs. I'm not a scrapbooker, and the only other thing I use the machine for is making signs in my shop. I bought it to use for cake decoration.

However, if you feel that you will want the larger machine, which does offer a larger cutting surface, you might want to get it now. Just keep in mind: companies are always coming out with new versions of their products, so we never get ahead of them in the end icon_biggrin.gif

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #42 of 137

I would love to see a tutorial done by one of our fellow CC'rs using the Circut. These threads are valuable information, but I'm a visual person. I've checked-out the Circut website, but seeing how someone actually uses the machine with gumpaste with step-by-step photos would be fantastic. Anyone up for the challenge??? Cheers, Rachel

lecrn Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #43 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I bought mine off of ebay, but the seller also has a website. You can buy directly from them. Keep in mind that they "pre-oder" the software, which means they order it then ship it to you. I waited several wks for mine. It also comes with a USB cord, a website to obtain free downloads, & tutorials on how to use SCAL.
http://www.mycricutbuddy.com/

Keep in mind that you need Windows in order to download this software. A Mac version is supposed to come out in the Fall.

You don't have to buy the software Design Studio in order for SCAL to work. There is an update you have to make, but it's free. Design Studio is sold by Cricut to be used with Cricut cartridges. I bought the software thinking it was necessary & wasted money bc I'll probably never use it.
You do need one Cricut cartridge to use SCAL. Most machines come with one in the box.

lecrn Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #44 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelendrez

I would love to see a tutorial done by one of our fellow CC'rs using the Circut. These threads are valuable information, but I'm a visual person. I've checked-out the Circut website, but seeing how someone actually uses the machine with gumpaste with step-by-step photos would be fantastic. Anyone up for the challenge??? Cheers, Rachel

There's a dvd by Linda McClure "Creative Designs" in which all this is taught. It can be purchases from her site or GSA. I don't think she would appreciate it if a tutorial was made on CC.

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:19pm
post #45 of 137
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelendrez

There's a dvd by Linda McClure "Creative Designs" in which all this is taught. It can be purchases from her site or . I don't think she would appreciate it if a tutorial was made on CC.

lecrn...thank you!

raquel1 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:27pm
post #46 of 137

I just got Linda's dvd and can't wait to watch it. She was at Houston cake club's dos last weekend. Linda and her husband are super nice and very helpful people.

raquel1 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #47 of 137

forgot to add that the dvd has her gp recipe which after a lot of research in her part works beautifully with the cricut!

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm
post #48 of 137
Quote:

cakesmade4u...............did you use the regular blade or the deep cut blade?

I used the regular blade it comes with on #3 for pressure Lecrn I use Icing images sheets too...

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #49 of 137

This looks like an amazing machine. It's definitely on my list of "Things I Want to Buy When I Have That Kind of Extra $$" icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #50 of 137

nesweetcake... I used SCAL for the letters and one of the cartridges that came with my cricut for the grass on the cake. Also, I use fondant with tylose and I roll it on the mat instead of rolling it then transferring it.

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:00pm
post #51 of 137

Cricut is going on the xmas list now! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the info everyone!

CountryCakery4 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #52 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

nesweetcake...Also, I use fondant with tylose and I roll it on the mat instead of rolling it then transferring it.

Do you use MMF or commercial fondant? I'd like to try adding Tylose to MMF to make gumpaste or an equivalent.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #53 of 137

Countrycake.... I make my own fondant so that is what I use. Michel Foster's.

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #54 of 137

This might be a stupid question but I'm going to put it out there anyways...I just posted about Tap-Its, but this might be a better solution for me. I'm big on "professional looking" designs and fonts etc...and I just can't make them myself (have you tried? Man it's hard...I envy some of you! LOL!). Can someone give me a basic breakdown of what this machine is/how it works with something edible like fondant? Is this something that was originally used for scrapbooking and has now translated into other areas like cake decor? Any input would be greatly appreciated...if you feel it more appropriate to PM me so as not to take away from the great thread, please do.

The cakes that are here are simply gorgeous...well done! icon_biggrin.gif

CountryCakery4 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #55 of 137

Caike, here is a link from page 2 of this thrad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica720

Here is a link to the Cricut website.

http://www.cricut.com/information/whatiscricut.aspx

CountryCakery4 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #56 of 137

Caike, here is some info on a program to use with the cricut from page 3 of this thread. HTH

Quote:

Quote:

I bought mine off of ebay, but the seller also has a website. You can buy directly from them. Keep in mind that they "pre-oder" the software, which means they order it then ship it to you. I waited several wks for mine. It also comes with a USB cord, a website to obtain free downloads, & tutorials on how to use SCAL.
http://www.mycricutbuddy.com/

Keep in mind that you need Windows in order to download this software. A Mac version is supposed to come out in the Fall.

You don't have to buy the software Design Studio in order for SCAL to work. There is an update you have to make, but it's free. Design Studio is sold by Cricut to be used with Cricut cartridges. I bought the software thinking it was necessary & wasted money bc I'll probably never use it.
You do need one Cricut cartridge to use SCAL. Most machines come with one in the box.

CountryCakery4 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:12pm
post #57 of 137

Sharon, thanks for the tip. I love the ease of MMF so much (even without a microwave!) that I think I'll try that first. But if it doesn't work out then I'll probably try a more traditional fondant. Happy caking! icon_smile.gif

CountryCakery4 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #58 of 137

Madge, your cakes look great, but alas, we are in the same boat. Mine could neverbe mistaken for stock photos either. .....yet!!! icon_smile.gif

pippilotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pippilotta Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:21am
post #59 of 137

That's the second cake I made with my cricut

I made the pattern for the stencils with SCAL and cut the mylar with the circut.

This cake was my entry for the first german cake show in Hamburg, I won the third place in the wedding cake categorie thumbs_up.gif

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:56am
post #60 of 137

pippilotta - Congratulations on your win. Your cake is gorgeous. The stencil is a subtle addition to an already beautiful cake and is just perfect. Your flowers are amazing.

Would you share the settings you used to cut the mylar?
Which blade did you use? (deep (blue) housing or regular)?
Blade depth?
Speed?
Pressure?

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%