Can I Use Chocolate Box Mix For Carving A Simple Volcano?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm by drakegore

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 9

i was going to use the epicurious chocolate cake to carve a volcano cake for a 6 year old's birthday party. cake is going to be 12" tall which is a lot of cake...mother is a friend of mine and i got to thinking how expensive the materials for the cake are going to be and was wondering if i could just use a box mix and save her money since 6 year old's are not that discriminating icon_smile.gif.

will a box mix hold together well enough to carve a volcano? there will be no intricate carved parts, just your basic garden variety volcano icon_smile.gif.

i don't have a lot of experience carving, so i am not sure if i am borrowing trouble with a cake mix. tried searching the forum and got an overload of results without finding my answer...but i did try before pestering folks with my own post icon_smile.gif

diane

8 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Diane

There is a recipe on here called Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cake. It is made from a mix with some add-ins. Basically, mix, eggs, oil, pudding, sour cream. I would give that one a shot. Un-doctored chocolate cake mix would (in my opinion) be too soft to carve.

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 9

I have tried carving a plain box mix before and it just fell apart. It was way to soft. But I just recently made the WASC recipe on here and carved it (which uses a cake mix in it) and it turned out great.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 9

There isn't that much carving with a volcano cake.

Use the Wondermold pan, with an 8" and 9" round underneath them (or 8", 9", and 10" rounds, if you need more height), then just trim the sharp edges off, cut the top the way you want it, ice it, airbrush it, and call it a day.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 9

The clown cake in my photos is carved from regular box cake so addins or anything. This was from a class with Bronwen Weber and she provided the cakes. She says that you can carve any kind of cake and I haven't had any problems. I just like them to be really cold but not frozen. They just carve better that way.

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, the WASC recipe is fabulous and versatile. I find myself using it more than any other lately.

drakegore Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 9

it sounds like i have two great doctored mixes to use! thank you all!
on the chocolate wasc, i have seen several versions...do you think it matters which one for carving?

unfortunately, no wondermold and no budget to buy one. going to be stacking 10/8/6 rounds and then i have to carve ledges and caves for the "men" to be standing on when they flee the volacano, lol.

thank you again!
dinae

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 9

Then just cut the sides smooth and use the icing to create your textures.

When I did the volcano cake in my gallery, all I did was stack the cakes, then I used my icing and spatula to create the textures on the sides of the caldera.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 9

theresa,
i love your volcano! piping "shells" is a great idea and it looked perfect!
mine is going to be mud brown with red/orange/yellow lava...and apparently it has to have the dry ice (sigh).
diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%