White Buttercream???

Decorating By fuffles Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 12:04pm by lapazlady

fuffles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuffles Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:57am
post #1 of 14

How to I get buttercream frosting WHITE!

13 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:05am
post #2 of 14

You can make the buttercream with Crisco and have white or you can add "super white" gel and get a nice white. I generally make regular buttercream and then whiten it with this product. I've had to add lots and couldn't taste it.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:30am
post #3 of 14

Hello, where can you get the super white, I always use real vanilla because I do not like the artificial one. Could I ad this super white to it? Thank you.

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 14

There is a product called Brite White and you can get it at Walmart, Micheals or Hobby Lobby in the cake decorating isle.

lapazlady Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 14

Brite White is the correct name. If you use this product you can add your regular vanilla.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 14

Another possibility is to add a bit of violet color. I did it on one of my cakes - the "Bath time" in my photos. Dip a toothpick in violet color, dip it in the buttercream, mix well, if needed repeat. You can see that the bubbles are white, not yellowish as the original color was.
The secret is to add only a bit of violet color. If you are not careful enough, you could get either "dirty" color or even violet one.

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 14

I just made Sugar Shack's buttercream icing this weekend and it is wonderful. It is very white and smooth. Here is the link to her recipe. I have seen tons of people rave about this recipe on here.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7325-0-Sugarshacks-Buttercream-for-a-6qt-Mixer.html

I think there is a recipe for this on here for a 4 quart mixer too, if you need it.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you I will try it....

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 14

Buy butter without the yellow dye and you'll be closer to white and easier to get super white. Health foods store sell butter that's not dyed.

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 14

I use the violet dye trick with my icing as well. I use regular yellow butter and brown vanilla, so my icing is always kind of ivory before using the violet/purple on it. Does the trick every time, but as already mentioned, only add a tiny bit at a time!

It works because yellow and purple are opposite each other on the color wheel.

fuffles Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:11am
post #11 of 14

Whoops I probably should have mentioned I was in Australia!

We dont have the products you have mentioned!

lapazlady Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:42am
post #12 of 14

Well, now...Your best bet is making you butter cream with Crisco (or another brand available in your area), using clear (colorless) vanilla. You'll have a nice white icing. You can also try using a tiny bit of violet to take the yellow out of regular butter cream.

fuffles Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:50am
post #13 of 14

At the risk of sounding a bit thick... what is crisco?
the only crisco we have here is vegetable oil!

lapazlady Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:04pm
post #14 of 14

Crisco is a brand of vegetable shortening. It's solid like butter. No shortening in AU, gad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%