Using Chocolate In Molds

Decorating By CRAZY-Beautiful77 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm by JenniferMI

CRAZY-Beautiful77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CRAZY-Beautiful77 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:11am
post #1 of 4

I'm using chocolate to make a variety of shells, starfish, and tiki masks to decorate my wedding cake (only 26 days to go!!!!). I've bought the wilton molds and one other brand but have found no other. My problem is that there isn't much variety to the molds. I plan on making a few molds using plaster of paris or dental plaster to make more. So...
1. Has anyone ever used molds for things like sculpy (or diy molds) for this? The chocolates won't be eaten (only the top tier and cutting tier will be cake, the other 3 dummies).
2. What prep was done to the molds for release fo the chocolates?
3. If the chocolates were tobe used in a situation where they would be getting eaten, what prep for the molds would be needed? (that is if I can get my cake business off the ground!)

All and any answers are greatly appreciated
Thank you
Nicole (CRAZY/Beautiful Desserts)

3 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 4

First. Congratulation on your upcoming wedding!!!!! I have used many different things for mold for chocolate. Ice cube trays (the shaped ones) sculpy molds too. Once filled, I stick into the freezer until set. I turn the mold over, tap on the table and they pop out. I have never done anything other than to wash the molds to prepare themto be eated.

rblee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rblee Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 4

Check makeyourownmolds.com. The owner/inventor demonstrated at the recent ICES convention and had a vendor booth. It looks like it's easy to use, and the guy is very friendly and helpful.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 4

First, congratulations on your wedding!

I do lots of seaside cakes...with choc. shells. I guess I don't understand why, if you are doing them in the first place, you wouldn't want all the shells to be choc and edible for your guests to enjoy? There are some molds on the market that have several molds in each one... not a bad value. If you need help, feel free to PM me. Jen icon_smile.gif PS - When I do the seaside cakes, the guests LOVE the choc. shells. I always make to many and put an arrangement of them out on the table with the brownulated sugar (looks just like sand).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%