Oprah's Chocolate Cake Recipe

Decorating By GrandmaG Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm by -K8memphis

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 9

Has any one tried this recipe? It sounds wonderful. I was wondering if the filling had a strong espresso taste.
http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipesdesserts/food_200407_cake

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:10am
post #2 of 9

I have never tried that recipe, but it sounds delish. I can tell you that the recipes on her website are more favorable to me than the ones on the Big M site (you know who I mean).

Dad's Coconut Custard Pie is out of this world, and my go-to recipe when called for.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 9

thumbs_up.gif Thanks! I'll give that a try too!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 9

The ingredients in that Oprah cake recipe are just a smidge off the measurements for the quintessential Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate" Cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's can--same basic method.

It's approximatley the Hershy's formula where each ingredient is cut by one quarter or one third give or take. The cocoa is not cut by a quarter exactly but close. But the ingredients read better cut thusly.

It's perfectly legal but perfectly interesting too huh.

I mean no recipe is completely without other recipes very very similar but this is just noteworthy to me. So close.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 9

Regarding the espresso powder - 2 teaspoons will likely give it a smidge of a coffee taste.

I *always* add a little instant espresso powder to anything that I make with chocolate, because I think it intensifies the chocolate flavor. A teaspoon of espresso powder for the whole cake is enough to do this. If I want a more intense espresso flavor to come through with the chocolate for a mocha flavor, I'd up the amount to a tablespoon or more of espresso powder.

GrandmaG Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 9

The espresso powder goes in the buttercream filling.

GrandmaG Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 9

I made Sue B's chocolate cake today submitted by JanH. It was really good! I will be making that one more often!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #8 of 9

wow...there's a lot of ingredients! icon_eek.gif i have to give this one a try.

i wonder who really came up with that recipe, cause oprah don't cook. icon_cool.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 9

The ingredients list is for the cake filling and icing. But the first bunch of ingredients for the cake is identical the Hershey's cake just the amounts are a little less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%