Covering Light Moist Chocolate Cake In Marzipan And Fondant

Decorating By Rochelle1 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm by NatalieMarie

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 2

I am worried about cover a chocolate cake I have for a wedding this week with Marzipan and then Fondant. The sides don't seem to hold up as straight and as smooth as a fruit cake which is heavier. I am thinking the weight of the icing is too much and weights the cake down. What should I do to prevent this from happening.

I live in the Caribbean so it's warm. I tried chilling the cakes after putting on the fondant, but then the fondant gets a moist sticky look.

Do you think maybe I am rolling the marzipan on fondant too thick?
I put on one layer of Marzipan then two layers of fondant. The first layer of fondant does not look smooth enough so I do it twice.

I would appreciate any help I can get thanks CC's

Rochelle

1 reply
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 2

You don't need to cover a sponge with marzipan, you really only need to do this for fruit, you just crumb coat the sponge with buttercream and then lay on the fondant.

However, if you want to use marzipan then roll a very very thin layer. A moist sponge cake does not have the density to hold so much marzipan and paste and will sag. You don't need to do two layers on fondant. Are you using cake smoothers to smooth your fondant? This will give you a very smooth finish. Don't be afraid to be quite vigorous with your smoother as this is the only way to give it that sharp look

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%