A License For Bridal Shows?

Business By MissCakeCrazy Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm by AdorableCakes

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 6

I have just read a post that mentioned that you need to have a license if you are to advertise your cakes in a bridal fair as health inspectors check you. Is this true in the UK? How do I obtain this? I make my cakes at home.

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know anything about the UK, but if Health Inspectors, or whoever does the licensing for cakes baked at home, wanted to catch a whole lot of unlicensed bakers, wouldn't a bridal show be a simple way to do it? I previously called it a "target rich environment."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 6

According to my health inspector, the organizers of the bridal show has to give the HD a list of the vendors who will be in the show. They then check that list to see if they have licenses on file for everyone. My health inspector told me she busted 2 cake ladies at the biggest show in town from this list. It costs about $2000 or more to be in this show, so to me, it's just down right "not smart" to spend that much money and run the risk of being caught.

Let me repeat ..... around here, the health dept is GIVEN A LIST of the vendors in the show.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 6

Perhaps you could post this question on the UK Bakers thread. There are several people who have dealt with Environmental Health that post there regularly.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:23am
post #5 of 6

I think in the UK you just need a food handler safety certificate, but I could be wrong. If you dont get any joy form here, you can post your question on the bsguk.org site. Its the British Sugar guild, they will def know the answer.

AdorableCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdorableCakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 6

I live in Iowa and I am licensed by the Cottage Law.
Do I still have to have a licensed kitchen to show at a bridal show?
I am also looking for ideas on what to wear at the show? Apron or chef's jacket with our logo?
my email is [email protected] you can send the answer directly to me too. Thanks for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%