3D Figures

Decorating By SarahEvans Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 3:09am by MrsNancyB1

SarahEvans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahEvans Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 9

Are there are tutorials on how to make the 3D people and animals or do you just get some tools and wing it??? I look at them on cakes and its just so cool!

8 replies
veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 9

aine2 has great tutorials for making people and animals, you have to purchase them but they are worth it. the most expensive one is only about $10 (converted).
there are also a few on youtube

aine2 tutorials link:
http://www.extraicing.co.uk/#/online-tutorials/4530759830

SarahEvans Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks! Thats a really cool site and will definately be purchasing. Another question...are the figures best made out of fondant, gumpaste or marzipan? Or a mixture?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahEvans

Thanks! Thats a really cool site and will definately be purchasing. Another question...are the figures best made out of fondant, gumpaste or marzipan? Or a mixture?

I wouldn't use straight fondant as it might end up squishing/sagging/dropping (can you tell I can't seem to find the right word icon_lol.gif ). I know some folks use it and say it works ok but then there are others that say they have those issues. Also fondant takes a lot longer to dry. Gum paste is very strong and dries faster than fondant but you have to work quickly with it just for this reason. That's why a lot of use use a mix of 50/50 gp and fondant or we add tylose to fondant.

Aine2 (if you check her youtube videos) shows you how she makes her modeling past for her figures (mix of fondant and tylose powder).

HTH!

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 9

When you buy the tutorials she also explains on there and how to make the glue to hold the pieces together

SarahEvans Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 9

This may sound like a dumb question but I have never used it or looked for it so where can I find tylose powder?? and is it expensive?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #7 of 9

You can find it online or at some cake supply stores. You will not find it at places like Michaels that carry Wilton supplies. If you find it hard to find you could always use gum-tex. I personally prefer using tylose plus it is white where as the gum-tex isn't.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #8 of 9

Hi Sarah,

I have purchased the baby topper from Aine2 and can tell you it is very detailed and easy to follow. Your best bet is to look her up on Youtube.com and search for Aine2, there are alot of tutorials under her name and she explains how to make the glue, little elephants and many more. Check your local cake supply stores for the tylose powder, I purchased mine 45g for about $5, which I found reasonable. I also recommend looking at your local library for some modeling clay books, they also give directions for some interesting characters and can give you the basic shapes that you can benefit from.

hope that gives you a start!
Shannie

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #9 of 9

Not to dismiss the value of Aine2's tutorials, it might be worth your time to just give it a try yourself before purchasing the tutorial.

The gumpaste girl in my photos was my very first try at a gumpaste person. I decided that if it turned out *really* bad, then I would go ahead and purchase a tutorial from Aine2. I don't think my figure is bad at all for a first try. I know she's not perfect, but now I know for next time what needs to be fixed etc.

Just give it a try yourself first, you might be surprised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%