The Chocolatiest Chocolate Cake Ever?

Baking By chilz822 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm by FlourPots

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 43

I've done variations on the WASC (choc chips, belgian truffle creamer, coffee, etc) chocolate cake and they were wonderful! I'm looking though for the most chocolatey cake ever... I want to cover it in choc buttercream and choc ganache. I'm looking for something that's the chocolate lovers dream!

Any ideas?

42 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 43

I make a chocolate overload that is just to die for. It is 2 layers of dark chocolate devil's food with a layer of brownie in between, filled with dark chocolate sour cream ganache and iced in chocolate IMBC and then topped with more of the ganache.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 43

hello prterrell.. would you share your chocolate overload.. sounds wonderful..

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I make a chocolate overload that is just to die for. It is 2 layers of dark chocolate devil's food with a layer of brownie in between, filled with dark chocolate sour cream ganache and iced in chocolate IMBC and then topped with more of the ganache.

I'm curious about your brownie layer. I tried it recently using my favorite mix (Ghiardelli Ultimate Fudge brownies), but after 3 attempts I gave up. It just would not cook correctly in an 8" round. I was afraid people would think it was raw chocolate cake.
The plus side is that I now have 3 packets of the DELICIOUS ganache-like icing that comes in each box.

So...any info on your brownies would be greatly appreciated.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 43

prterrell- would you would be willing to share your recipe? It sounds divine. You can PM me if you don't want to post the recipe here.

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 43

OK, let me wipe the drool from my chin. That sounds SO divine! icon_eek.gif I'm hoping you share your recipe with us chocolate lovers.

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 43

Whenever I am going for chocolate overload, I replace some of my liguid ingredient with brewed coffee. It really enhances the chocolate flavor, imho.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 43

This recipe is incredible and so easy. It's called "Too Much Chocolate Cake." It's worth a shot...it's a family favorite of ours for sure!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Too-Much-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx

FlourPots Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 43

luv2cake...do you make it in a bundt pan as the recipe states?

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 43

The first time I made it in a bundt pan, but I have used it a few times in regular cake pans that I later used in my stacked, decorated cakes. So it works either way!

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 43

the Hershey Cooca can has a recipe on it for the best ever chocolate cake and it is so good.

FlourPots Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cake

The first time I made it in a bundt pan, but I have used it a few times in regular cake pans that I later used in my stacked, decorated cakes. So it works either way!

Good to know...thanks.

chilz822 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 43

*drool*... I didn't think of baking a brownie layer!

icer101 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 43

prterrell.... has left the building. . ha!! please come back and please share this incredible recipe of yours..

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #15 of 43

I haven't tried the "too much CHocolate Cake" recipe, but I can second that Hershey's "Perfectly Chocloate" Chocolate cake is incredible!

chilz822 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #16 of 43

Tell me more about the Hershey's version... I read a thread a while back where everyone was complaining about it sticking so badly...

Is it moist, gooey, and chocolate-syrupy?
Mmmmmmm

icon_biggrin.gif

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #17 of 43

I've never had a problem with it sticking at all. I just grease my pans well with a mix of crisco and flour. There is a regular hershey's cocoa version and dark chocloate version that I havn't tried yet. I find that the Hershey's recipe also dosn't dry out like other scratch recipes that I have tried.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #18 of 43

I like Hershey's Black Magic Cake; it uses hot coffee. Grease, flour and line your pans with parchement paper. Zero sticking issues. I love this one with vanilla butter cream, but I have made it with chocolate. Ganache over that would be impressive.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #19 of 43

Sorry, I am no longer giving out new recipes as I am putting together a cookbook. icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:29pm
post #20 of 43

Can you tell me if your brownie layer was from a mix or scratch??

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm
post #21 of 43

I also use the Hershey's recipe on the cocoa can. To avoid the sticking issue, just be sure to cool on a rack rather than in the pan. I also use it for my "Death by Chocolate" cake, filled with whipped ganache, covered in chocolate buttercream and THEN chocolate curls!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #22 of 43

I made a 3-Layer cake consisting of 2 layers of WASC dark chocolate fudge cake using coffee as my liquid with a center layer of chocolate cheesecake, covered in chocolate amaretto ganache, surrounded by chocolate fudge pirouettes, topped with chocolate covered strawberries. Call the doctor!!! The pic is on page 2 in my gallery.

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #23 of 43

I love the Hershey's Classic one too, and Prterrell, I will be waiting for that cookbook of yours . LOL...just let me know when.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #24 of 43

This is a really good chocolate cake too. This is my most requested flavor.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2163-71-Darn-Good-Chocolate-Cake.html

Sweet-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Treats Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #25 of 43

I love the Hersheys from the can too..delicious!

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:49pm
post #26 of 43

The hershey's chocolate cake (with coffee instead of boiling water) is my staple chocolate recipe as well. It is very moist and will be sticky if you forget to flour after greasing the pan.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #27 of 43

I have done a brownie layer and I just used a box mix and baked in a 9x13 pan. after it cooled, I used the pan to cut out the correct size( I used a 8 inch round). hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee2007

I have done a brownie layer and I just used a box mix and baked in a 9x13 pan. after it cooled, I used the pan to cut out the correct size( I used a 8 inch round). hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

Duh icon_surprised.gif *hitting self in head* sometimes the answer is so simple!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Renee!!!!!!!

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:36pm
post #29 of 43

your welcomeicon_smile.gif. I made a chocolate cake and put a layer of macsmoms chocolate truffle filling, then the brownie, then another layer of truffle filling, it is sooo good.....yummyicon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

icer101 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #30 of 43

all of your recipes sound delicious. i will be trying all of these... since you all are so happy with what you make..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%