Professional Bakers, What Size/kind Mixer Do You Use?

Business By Echooo3 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 12:23pm by cfao

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 15

I am currently using a 5 quart mixer, Kitchen Aid but I really want to purchase something larger. I am not in business yet but hope to be one day -- dreaming of the day.

I am buying things as I can afford them. The Hobart is out of my price range for sure.

14 replies
karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 15

I had a 6 qt KA artisan -- it lasted two years and died. I now have a VIKING 7 qt. I love it!! Hope it lasts longer than two years, though.

Echooo3 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks Karensue (hey that's my name too).

I think I should get a 20 quart, wonder if Viking makes one that large?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 15

For little stuff I use 1) 4.5 Qt KA that was my mothers. That thing is a workhorse. 2) 6 qt KAs that I got on super sale. I don't excpect them to last, as the newer KAs just are not that well made.
For other jobs I have a 20 qt Hobart that I purchased used. Those things will last practically forever.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 15

got my univex 20qt for a steal at an auction. LOVE IT!! had to do some repairs, but still a great deal.
We also have a 5qt KA that we use for smaller jobs.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 15

I have a Globe sp-20 20qt mixer that I love for the big loads and I have 3 KA mixers....a 4.5 and to 6qts.
The globe is a little better price...and the quality is great for a commercial mixer.

Echooo3 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks. So it sounds like I would be better off getting a couple more KA and wait to get a 20qt. Agree?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 15

I have a 20 year old 4.5 qt. kitchenaid, a 2 year old 6 qt. kitchenaid and a used 20 qt. Hobart, which is my bestest friend for wedding cakes!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 15

i got a 30 qt and a lil 5 quart.

don't give up on a hobart, my son got a 20 quart on ebay for 350 dollars.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 15

I only got the 20 qt when I needed it...shop open...and mixed in KA 6--17 times in one week....then you know it's time.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i got a 30 qt and a lil 5 quart.

don't give up on a hobart, my son got a 20 quart on ebay for 350 dollars.

WOW! What a deal!! Did you have to do any repairs to it?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #12 of 15

he had to buy a bowl and paddle, he also got a 30 qt vulcan for 100 that needed some work...he's handy so he will be able to fix it.

these days with craigslist and ebay, he has been able to get almost everything i have at a very small fraction of what i paid in 2002

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #13 of 15

My business is just getting started and my 7 qt. Viking will be delivered tomorrow. I also have a KA that my mother gave me that is either 5 or 6 qt. She's had it about 10 years but never uses it. She recently moved it to the top shelf of her pantry so I knew she wouldn't be using it anytime soon. I asked to buy it and she and my dad decided to give it to me. Sweet mom! icon_biggrin.gif

If I'm blessed enough to outgrow these, I'm keeping my eye out for a 20 qt. Hobart. thumbs_up.gif

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #14 of 15

I have an 8 quart Globe for little stuff and a 20 quart Globe for big stuff at my wedding cake shop. I am not very strong and you have to think about how much do you want to wrestle with in a big bowl full of icing! Both were bought new. They were reasonable in price and no problems for over 5 years. I am opening a second location and will buy another Globe for that shop. I love them!

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:23pm
post #15 of 15

I've got a 12 qt. Hobart. Not too big, not too small. I bought it from an estate sale from a son who's mom had passed away and did wedding cakes out of their home. He said it was at least 20 years old, I've had it for 18 years now. Hobart can tell the year from the ser.# so they say it was built in the 60's. I think we have had Hobart out 2 times just to give it a check up/tune up. I LOVE IT !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%