Buttercream Versus Fondant?

Business By Denelly666 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm by venuscakes

Denelly666 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denelly666 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 4

I know that fondant is much more fashionable at the moment but I don't really like the taste and I have much more skill in buttercream. Do most professional cake decorators work in one or the other, or a mix of both? What percent of your weekly business ends up being fondant versus buttercream? I used to work in a cake shop but at that time fondant cakes were unheard of and I am thinking of opening my own shop soon. Have taken great fondant and gumpaste class with Colette Peters but don't get the opportunity to practice much since I am not currently in that business.

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 4

The vast majority of my orders are bc base with fondant embellishments. Best of both worlds.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 4

I think knowing both is a good idea! That way you don't have to say to no to fondant cake when the bride wants fondant and vice versa.

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 4

Hi

99% of my cakes are decorated with fondant but then it is a bit different here in the UK. That is generally what people want with a few requesting butter cream cos they don't like fondant.

I much prefer to work in fondant but then I guess it depends on what you are used to.

Great that you did a Colette Peters course, I love her cakes!

Amandax

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%