Aggh! Angry Client Wanting.......vent- Very Long

Decorating By waterlily Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm by moralna

waterlily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waterlily Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:18am
post #1 of 49

something for nothing.

So I was on my last delivery of what I call a successful day of deliveries. Until I get to this one, I had an uneasy feeling from the start. I even had issues early on but thought nothing of it then.

Anyways, to start we had consultation last week, I sketched out cake settled on serving size, explained everything. Everything went fine in my mind. Then she wanted to meet to pay me balance of cake 3 days before event ( which I did get a 50% deposit at initial consultation). I accommodated to meet with her out of my normal meeting hours and she didn't show, not even a call to let me know. OK, she apologized for that, but I told her I would not meet her again until delivery and expected payment then.

That brings us to today. Get to where function is held, I was told she is not there, but made it clear that I would not leave cake until I was paid balance on cake. OK, clients brother pays me and I proceed to set up and add final details to cake. As I'm doing this, mother of client sees cake and voices her disapproval of cake because it looks to small to feed 100 people. Well, of course, your daughter ordered a cake for 50 people, duh. I ignore and finish, and client finally shows up. I ask if she likes her cake. She says yes with delight in eyes and I begin to leave, all while her mother continues to dog my cake because it looks too small. As I'm leaving mother of client calls me back and proceeds with degrading my work, with daughter no where in site, and says that there is no way a 10" and 6" will even serve 50 much less 10 people. And she knows this because she makes cakes as well. I guess she thought that if she showed how unhappy she was she would get cake for FREE. I replied to her that I use the Wilton serving chart as she is well aware of and such cake serves 50 which was what her daughter agreed on and ordered from me at $2.75 a serving.

To make longer story longer(sorry), I told her I would return what was paid to me today only, and they would not get to keep the cake, either. She blatantly said she was fine with going to wal-mart at 5pm, which is 30min before party, for a cake to serve 100. (good luck) Needles to say I happily took back my already set up cake and went on my way.
I was so frustrated, shocked, angry and bummed all at the same time.
icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif
LL

48 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:23am
post #2 of 49

Insane. I wouldn't even have done what you did.... you were way too accomodating. If they wanted cake for 100 then they should have ordered cake for 100.

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:28am
post #3 of 49

Very nice cake. The nerve of some people...

waterlily Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:31am
post #4 of 49

Thanks guys! This cake was a total waste of my time. Got paid for materials used only!

Still cant get over it. People never cease to amaze me to what extent they will go!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:49am
post #5 of 49

So, what did the daughter say when she found out she wasn't getting her cake? Were you still there when she found out?

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:24am
post #6 of 49

thats ridiculous, at least you got paid for materials but still, that cake was fab it looked like it took ages ....hope you enjoyed eating it??

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:52am
post #7 of 49

I'm sorry, but WTH has it got to do with the mother anyway?! She wasn't your client, the daughter was. I'd have told her just that. I wouldn't have taken the cake away without the daughter being aware of it - now she would have good reason to be mad at you for doing that! JMO.

She thinks that a 6 & 10in will only serve about 10 people? Whack job! Yeah, I'm sure she 'does cakes' - why not do this one then?!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:35am
post #8 of 49

Have you heard anything from the daughter yet? You KNOW that mother is going to "lie like a rug" about what happened!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:36am
post #9 of 49

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that.
The Mother sounds like a horrible person, and I bet thats the last think you thought was going to happen yesterday!
The cake was great looking!
I bet the kid must have been sad to see the cake go.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:05am
post #10 of 49

Hi Waterlily. First, I want to say your cake is terrific, and I wish you were in my neck of the woods. I would gladly buy that cake from you just for the delight it would bring my boys!

I also understand your frustration at how the clients mother treated you. However, you said that the client had delight in her eyes. She was happy with the cake and that should have been that. I think the better course of action would have been to advise the mother that your contract was with her daughter, then to turn around and leave. I am concerned for you that it could be interpreted that you were actually in breach of contract. The momzilla had no rights in this situation, and should have been firmly, and politely rebuked. Unless you have a "no momzilla" point in your contract, I think your client has the right to take issue with you.

I am really sorry this happened.

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:26am
post #11 of 49

You run into all kinds of people. I'm just sad for the child that this cake was made for, to have a mother and grandmother that thinks they have got to have everything their way and I'm sure this happens all the time with them.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:52am
post #12 of 49

I think your cake is wonderful--a well made and fabulous celebration cake.

I think your chicklette made a wonky purchase --no reflection on you at all--by only buying cake for half the expected crowd and then flaking out on paying so brother had to cough up.

I think the mother's true angst was with her daughter who blew it but unfortunately you were there to stand in the gap and catch the grief.

And I also think that chicklette lost her right to decide the fate of the cake when her brother bailed her out and by her absence/disappearance at crucial moments. I mean how far away are you from 'the action' when you're hosting a party. Too convenient for her to be mia huh.

I'm really glad you kept the cake. I'm really sorry this happened.

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:28pm
post #13 of 49

OMG THAT CAKE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is NO WAY I would EVER bash that cake!! Wow.... the nerve of some people....

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #14 of 49

Sorry but I think you did the wrong thing here. The daughter was the client. NOT the mother. The daughter was happy with the cake. You should have taken the money and left the cake.

You should have told the mother that if she had any problems she needed to talk to the daughter about it since she was the one who ordered the cake.

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #15 of 49

I'm sorry to see you had a difficult time. And it's difficult when you've created something wonderful and have someone criticize and chastise you.

Upside: you did get the supply money for the cake. You have a great pic for your portfolio of your awesome work. and hopefully you and your family enjoyed your fab cake!

Have a great weekend!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 49

I would have done exactly as you did. (And awesome cake, by the way.) The daughter may have been the initial client, but she didn't follow through with payment or presence. Who KNOWS when she would have been available to consult. She flaked out. She left someone there to receive the cake (mom) and mom rejected it? Fine.

If mom had been thinking and was that worried about it, she could have just gone to the grocery store and gotten additional cupcakes to feed the rest of the masses that her daughter (allegedly) forgot.

Something tells me there is a story in that family (and party) that I'm happier not knowing. Brother paying for cake, but not telling mom to let it go. Daughter missing during party set up. Bleh.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 49

Now that you have one of these under your belt, in the future you now have a point of reference on how to deal with non-clients making comments. Deal with the client only. Do not be shy. Tell them, "I'm sorry, you're not my customer. I will deal only with my customer."

Hubby shares banking stories where "Duddly Do-Right" (aka 'the boyfriend') tried to butt in on an issue. Hubby would flat out refuse to discuss the issue because Duddly (or dad or mom or whoever) was not on the loan and ergo had no standing to discuss the issue.

Was mom ever told that cake-for-50 was all that was ordered and that's why it looks small to her? (Hubby adding, "Lady, you dont' even know what she ordered, so WTH are you talking about?" ....... Sunday morning is when we share CC stories while having morning coffee and reading the paper! icon_lol.gif )

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:41pm
post #18 of 49

I, too, would've taken the money and left the cake...fantastic cake btw! You delivered what was ordered. If she needed more servings, I would've suggested her trippin' to the store for more cake/cookies/cupcakes/whatever to make up the extra servings needed.

indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 49

Hubby asked me to share this thought, too.

In his lifetime, he's developed a keen sense of knowing how to tell when people "are HUNTIN'!" for a way to get something for free. He's seen it TOO many times!

To him, sounds like mom coached daughter in how to get a free cake. That's why daughter wasn't there when cake was delivered, even tho' she knew she was suppose to pay for it. They didnt' anticipate the vendor calling their bluff. Brother was the wild card .... he wasn't involved in these shenanigans, so in his ignorance, he stepped up and paid for it. All mom had left in her arsensal was to complain.

Her plan didnt' work. They had crappy cake for the party.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #20 of 49

I too would have left the cake.Doesn't matter who paid for it ...I would have left it.Let the Mom take it up with the daughter later..

indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #21 of 49

Gingoodies, to quote someone, just click the "quote" button in the upper right hand corner of the message. If you cut-n-paste, you can hi-lite what you've pasted, then clicke the "quote" button ABOVE the text box. When you're typing in a response, this 2nd quote button is located to the right of the Bold, Italicize, and Underline button, right under the "subject" space. HTH!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #22 of 49

Waterlily, your cake is perfect and you know, so why on earth would you refund the mother (who wasn't even the client) one dime? First, you should not have even discussed the cake with the mom. Second, you should have left the cake at the party and left without refunding anything.

If the mom makes cakes and knows so much, she should have made it. I bet she couldn't make a cake as nice as yours.

indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

If the mom makes cakes and knows so much, she should have made it. I bet she couldn't make a cake as nice as yours.

The fact that she thinks a 6 and 10 will only serve 10 people makes me question her experience in cakes in the first place. icon_twisted.gif

waterlily Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #24 of 49

For those who think I did the wrong thing, the daughter was there once cake was taken away and she was fine with it. The daughter was totally influenced by the mother's feelings at that point. I did make it clear to the mother and daughter that the order was entered into betweem her daughter and I and not the mother, but by then the daughter had resigned to what mother wanted no matter what. I think I handled it just fine and I put my foot down. I am not going to let them walk all over me more than they already had by not wanting to pay. Give me some credit. I have learned a thin or two from all here on cc. Thank you!

The cake was enjoyed by my neighbor's kids who lucky had a birthday yesterday as well. I was still able to make someone happy. thumbs_up.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Waterlily, your cake is perfect and you know, so why on earth would you refund the mother (who wasn't even the client) one dime? First, you should not have even discussed the cake with the mom. Second, you should have left the cake at the party and left without refunding anything.

I have to agree. Once the client says she's happy with the cake and I'm paid, I'm outta' there. I don't owe any explanations to onlookers.

I know it's easy to panic and cave in these situations, so no criticism here. As Debi said, now that you have experience with this type of incident, you'll be better prepared next time to pleasantly say, "I'm sorry, but you're not my client. She is satisfied with what I've delivered. If you have issues with the cake, you'll need to take that up with your daughter."

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #26 of 49

First of all, the cake is amazing! You don't live near Sacramento do you? My son would be over the moon!

As for the "client". Yup, I would have left the cake, advised the mother to take it up with her daughter who ordered only a 50 serving cake (always have your paperwork with you when you deliver a cake to prove the agreed upon conditions if need be and make sure it's signed by your client). I would have left the cake and taken the money.

I take it that you have not heard from the daughter yet? I'm dying to know what the mother told the daughter about the cake. Glad you took photos cause I'd be tempted to show it to the daughter to prove the cake was wonderful and her mother messed it up for her.

I tend to think positive about people but I agree with the others...sure seems like they were trying to get more for the money. I'm thinking that next time you tell them that if the cake is not paid for competely before you go to the work to make it then they don't get a cake made AND they forfeit the deposit. That way you get paid before hand or get to keep the money that you will have already spent on the supplies.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. The only silver lining here is a gorgeous cake to add to your portfolio and yummy dessert for your whole family and a few friends too!

Cat

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:56pm
post #27 of 49

It is a great cake for sure.....but, you were paid in full, cake is set up, you should have left the venue, end of story.

Your client approved the cake, her Mother wasn't your client, right?

Like some others have said....... I only deal with the person whose name is on the contract. Mothers, Fathers, Husbands. Old Aunt Bertha NEVER have a say in what the final cake looks like.

I'd love to know what the woman who actually contracted for the cake thought when she found out the cake was taken away. icon_eek.gif Unless she's a pushover and her Mom runs her life..........hmmmmm, could be.

I'm thinking we haven't heard the end of this story yet. Huge lesson learned with this one.....when paid in full RUN LIKE HE** icon_lol.gif

waterlily Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm
post #28 of 49

Read above in my previous post for what happened. I did keep 50% and the cake. NO cake for them!!!!

Believe me these people will not be a client of mine again. I will not work with them in the future!

I have not heard from them anymore on this issue as of yet!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm
post #29 of 49

I don't think you did the wrong thing. You did what was right for you. I stated what I would've done...which, doesn't make it right or wrong for everyone...but it would've been what was right for me. The screw up was on their end. I meant no offense.

I'm glad to hear you were able to make someone happy with it.

waterlily Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:15pm
post #30 of 49

Indydebi, my thoughts exactly on the the coaching and phishing to get out of paying. That is why I did what I did. I defused a situation that was already getting out of hand by giving them what they paid that day and took my cake back. They didn't think I would actually do that. Their thoughts now are probably "what did she(I) want with cake she(I) didn't need". Poor birthday boy was confused as to why cake was not left at his party.

Although, many of you have good points about the mother getting involved, I wanted to do my best in making them happy even if it meant giving money back and me taking back the already set up cake. The daughter at certain points was hiding in house once she arrived as mother spoke to me about cake. I gathered that the daughter had overspent on the cake and party overall and had talked up the cake so much to justify the cost to the mother that she was expecting way more than what the daughter actually ordered. This girl just couldn't think for herself around her mother.

Live and learn, and deal with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%