Hawaiian Flowers

Decorating By jarjam1026 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm by Jeff_Arnett

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:34am
post #1 of 9

Can anyone tell me what flower cutters would i use for Hawaiian type flowers. And or how to make them. I appreciate it.

8 replies
NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:43am
post #2 of 9

This is the link I used to get the general idea for my hibiscus but i didn't have her tools so I improvised.

I used a scallop cutter to cut the petals, using gumpaste and used pink wilton star looking cutter to make centers (separating the petals to apply individually to each large petal) then rolled the two together and "ruffled" the edges. I made the stamens like in the video, inserting toothpicks to attach to cake (optional). Lay each petal around so they overlap but don't make a complete circle. then on the last petal, gently shape the whole thing together so they form the "flower" (this part was tricky for me until i found what worked). You just have to play with it and see what works. HTH, good luck.

NatiMF30 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:44am
post #3 of 9
jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 9

thank you. i really appreciate it.

NatiMF30 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:08am
post #5 of 9

Glad i could help. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:28am
post #6 of 9

the antherium .. is a hawaiian flower also.. very beautiful...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:02am
post #7 of 9

I've made some hibiscus-looking flowers before...not perfectly realistic but they looked good enough. I used the large pink wilton cutter from the quick rose set, cut separations between petals, thinned and ruffled the edges, used a veiner to make lines on each petal, and then let them dry in egg trays...the plastic ones HEB sells for Easter eggs, which make perfect flower formers icon_biggrin.gif For the centers, I rolled a tube of fondant and set it in the center, then used a sun paper punch and stuck it on the end, then rolled a tiny ball and stuck that on the end. I painted the centers with pink luster dust.

Here's a picture of them:

and these were done the same way but painted with gel colors thinned with vodka for a more vivid look:

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 9

I made mine a like Branibakes youtube video. It was a lot of help.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjam1026

Can anyone tell me what flower cutters would i use for Hawaiian type flowers. And or how to make them. I appreciate it.

One easy one is the Anthurium.....you can make them with a large heart cutter....texturize on a calla lily veiner. Make the spadix like you would for a calla lily, but bend it downward. Color the heart bright red and the spadix can be rolled in a mixture of dry gelatin and yellow petal dust [brush the spadix with gum glue or egg white first].

After th flower dries, you need to glaze it with leaf varnish or even gum arabic-based gum glue to give it a very shiny appearance.

Easy and impressive flower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%