Nobody Ate My Cake!!! I Wanted To Cry. :'(

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 1:08am by sugarMomma

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #31 of 45

I didn't read all the posts but have to add my 2 cents. I have had a couple of cakes that noone wants to cut. I actually have had to be the first one to cut the cake so that everyone else thinks It's o.k.

I've had comments like, "doesn't it just kill you when someone cuts into your cakes when it takes sooo long to make". I alway so no! That is what I made it for (to eat)! I then say that is what cameras are for. Take a picture then cut the cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #32 of 45

Once it leaves my hands it makes no difference to me when, or if ever, they cut it. A little over a year ago, I made one for my husband's boss based on beachcakes design. My husband's boss loved it so much he never cut it. Never. It sat in his office for about a month. Finally, he had to admit that it probably was rather gross underneath and he left for home one day holding it in his hands. We can only assume he threw it away at one point. I take that as a a huge compliment. Somehow, I touched a cord within this rather stoic man by a small gesture of cake.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #33 of 45

You're not around here that long, so let me teach you something.

I don't sell cakes, but this is what I've learned by reading the posts of those who do -

If you're selling a cake, and you got paid, and you know it tastes good, and it's set up correctly, then don't worry about what the customer does with it afterward. Once you deliver it, it's theirs.

A cake that goes uncut because of it's beauty is the most flattering compliment that could be paid to a caker.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #34 of 45

That little baby is tooooo cute for words. I think it is the highest form of flattery .... your cake meant a lot to her and she just didn't want to eat it - she wanted to look at it some more. I would not feel bad at all - I would be proud that you created something so precious and beautiful that they could not bear to take it apart and eat it.

In fact - I would have a hard time eating it myself - I think I would want to save it for as long as I could and everyday when I looked at it - it would make me smile!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:40pm
post #35 of 45

Definitely cute!! But I gotta agree with Jen from cakewrecks...baby-shaped cakes are just kinda creepy, seeing as the idea is to CUT and EAT the cake.

However, it's really good that you were able to make a cake you hadn't made before, and that the mother-to-be was so pleased, she wanted to keep it. icon_smile.gif

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #36 of 45

We make my babysitter a birthday cake every year and last year it took her 3 days to cut into it! LOL! Take it as a compliment that she wouldn't let them touch it!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #37 of 45

I made a cake for my boss one year. His birthday happened to be the day we did our inventory, so we had lots of extra people in the store & I made a huge cake. He didn't want to cut it before he had taken it home to show his wife!! I don't think anyone had ever made him a cake before. I remember feeling really upset that he was "being selfish" with his cake but then someone said I should take it as a huge compliment, so I did.

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #38 of 45

That cake is way too cute. I can totally understand why they wouldn't want to cut it.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #39 of 45

Wow, it's beautiful! A work of art. I can see why she wouldn't destroy it.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #40 of 45

it wasnt' that no one wanted to eat it, but that no one wanted to cut into it. it's gorgeous!! did you really only get paid $50.00??? icon_confused.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #41 of 45

OMG, I know!! I feel you, cuz the same thing just happened to me. A lady from my play group ordered a Georgia themed cake for her hubby. I knew she didn't have a lot of money, so we agreed on a cake and a price that was fir for that size cake. I felt artistic, so I went ahead and made it WAYYY better than the one she thought she was getting. I mean, hand made bulldog and everything.
So she emails me 2 weeks later saying he loved it so much he hasn't even eaten it yet. I was like, WTH??? Who lets a cake sit around and not eat it? Then she asked if she could order another cake for her daughter. I was pissed and said I would be out of town, and directed her elsewhere.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #42 of 45

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think I'd have trouble cutting into it too........it is soooooooooo cute!!!! I'd have to take a ton of pictures and then maybe I'd think about letting them eat it......LOL
You did such a great job though!!!!

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

it wasnt' that no one wanted to eat it, but that no one wanted to cut into it. it's gorgeous!! did you really only get paid $50.00??? icon_confused.gif

LOL. Yeah, actually, I told her $20 when she asked me to do a cake for her. I said Id do it for materials only, which I knew I would spend more in materials, but it was basically a gift. They are my neighbors, and have been very good to us. And they have no money. Literally. And I knew it would be very difficult for them to afford this party for their daughter.

She offered me $50 and after protesting a bit, I realized she wasnt going to have it any other way and I accepted.

I guess part of the reason I was dissapointed no one got to eat it was because I was sort of looking at the cake as an advertisment. I wanted everyone to be able to taste how good it was in exchange for doing the cake at cost. Kind of selfish, I know. But in the end Im glad I helped my neighbor and Im glad her daughter loved it so much. <3

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #44 of 45

I've had this happen a bunch of times with 3D Bear cakes for babyshowers. After the second time I figured out that nobody could figure out how to cut it!!! Now I just do it.
On another note, I actually ended up loosing the heating core of my (30 yr. old) Wilton 3d pan. The guy I made it for INSISTED on taking the whole thing home to show his wife- Heating core inside the cake too!!!
Yup, never got the core back. The guy said that it wasn't inside the cake when I asked for it back!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #45 of 45

As cute as your cake was, it will happen to you again so get used to it! At least you made cupcakes.

Just got a text today from the birthday girl of a Vegas cake I made for last Saturday. She said she finally cut into it today. I had no idea and wish now I had made cuppies.

And another friend ordered a cake for his grandma's big reunion party, she wouldn't let anyone cut it either.

My mom still has a cake I made for her birthday 2 years ago in her freezer, she puts it out every so often when guests are over but never lets anyone eat it. I told her to eat it, I could always make her another. She still gets a cake every year but I also make cupcakes too, in case.

So it will happen and I find it amusing as well as sweet. What we do is art as well as cake, so feel proud (and make cuppies maybe).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%