Aluminum Pans In Dishwasher

Decorating By Jeannem Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 4:23am by Jeannem

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 5

This is driving me nuts (short trip)...I just purchased a new dishwasher and my aluminum pans are "staining". They change color--get sort of a film that doesn't wash out. This didn't happen with my old dishwasher--I have 20 year old pans that look brand new until now. does anyone know why this is happening?? Doug?? Are you also a metallurgical engineer?? I'll be eternally grateful is someone could solve this mystery.

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 5

Here's a discussion on aluminum pots in the dishwasher discoloring:
(Tips range from using less detergent, to using more Jet Dry, to inadequate rinse cycle.)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080101085741AAi3UEi

HTH

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #3 of 5

We have a store that I use all the time. It rents any and every cake pan you can imagine for like $3.00. There are signs all over that store that if you put one of thier pans in the dishwasher there is someting like a $25.00 fee. SO, I never put my pans or thiers in the DW. I am not sure why the film occurs but it is darn hard to get off.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 5

I've stopped washing my pans in the dishwasher for this reason, no film on them but they were very discolored and I was very upset.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the info, but I'm just not buying it!! I use the same water, soap---everything but the dishwasher is the same. I HAS to be the dishwasher--maybe the water is too hot--they seem to etch less if I don't use the booster heater. I'll continue my search!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%