Substitute Egge Whites With Meringue Powder In Imbc?

Baking By luv2c_cultures Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm by Marianna46

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make IMBC this morning and I realized that it's now raining and I have no more eggs in the house! I don't have a car so I can't go out and buy some.

I was wondering if I could replace the egg whites with meringue powder for the recipe? Anyone tried this? I need to decorate some cupcakes the sooner the better! Thanks!

8 replies
luv2c_cultures Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 9

anyone? I really need to get this started. Thanks!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 9

Meringue powder is a mixture of other ingrediens like sugar and whatever else they put in there besides powdered egg whites. so I don't think you'll get the best results with a substitution but I've never tired.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 9

I've heard of people doing it. Do you have any Wilton Color flow? It is just egg whites and a whipping agent. I've used it.

There is a no-cook recipe on here that uses Meringue powder too.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 9

Does anyone have any idea of how much meringue powder to substitute for each egg white in this case? I tried doing the same thing with gumpaste, but it came out way too hard: I couldn't even get it to roll out. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif !

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 9

2 teaspoons of Wilton Meringue pluse two tablspoons of water = one egg white.

luv2c_cultures Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone! I gave it a try and it was a complete disaster! icon_cry.gif I think it had to do with the fact that I was in a hurry because nothing worked out this morning. I will have to try it again some other time. I just ended up doing regular buttercream which is not my favourite, but oh well!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 9

My recipe for IMBC uses meringue powder. I use it all the time and have never had it fail on me.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3483-5-Promises-Meringue-Buttercream.html

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, Cakemom! I'm going to plug these equivalents into my gumpaste recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%