First Cake - Questions

Decorating By Caike Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm by Win

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All!

First of all, I'm so happy that I found a place where my questions can be answered instead of my boyfriend just looking at me like I'm nuts (Fondant...what?). I've been wanting to start baking more frequently and finally after moving into our new house I have a little bit more time to explore. I have a creative side I haven't been able to fit into my life yet and cakes really seems to be the way to do that. None the less, the past few days I've gathered all the supplies and I finished my first fondant cake (I finished it yesterday). I took pics obviously as there are some questions I have.

You can find the photos here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/3845492738_5e9a50668d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2508/3844701133_b8bf36441d.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3845492138_3d2c6a601d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2648/3844700527_5e5002f3ef.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2512/3845491596_c4d7d2f990.jpg

1 - How do you attach ribbons without it looking bad? The only idea I could come up with was to use the piping gel I used to cover the cake before I placed the fondant on it to adhere the end of the ribbon to itself (does that make sense?). Only problem with that is that the piping gel bled through the ribbon making it look greasy/gross. Other suggestions?

2 - The circle icing around the bottom looks like crap - is there a post where I can read about doing that right? Or at least doing a better job then I did here?

3 - I made the mistake of placing the cake onto the silver tray (was all I could find at the time) prior to putting the fondant on...which made things difficult/messy when I went to cut it. Is the typical practice to put it on a stand, wrap the fondant around it, and then place it on the final tray? Any suggestions here would be a great help.

Otherwise, for my first fondant application I thought it went pretty well. I just made sure that the buttercream underneath was really smoothed out nicely before I put it in the fridge to crust over prior to putting the fondant on.

I read the big post about comments at the top of one of the forums, so if you are just browsing and don't have time to comment that's cool - but for those of you who are masters and have a few seconds, some comments might be helpful. I'm going to do a two tier within the next couple of weeks and will take pictures of that as well. I'm excited my first one turned out ok. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading!

Caike ^-^

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 7

very pretty, and impresive for a first timer!
the sticky post about comments is actually for cakes on this website - upload them to here, and make sure yor profile settings allow comments and away you go. if you want constructive criticism say so - but be prepared for what you might hear.

1) ribbons - always keep the seam at the back, then its not such an issue. most people do use something like royal icing, buttercream or piping gel - i dont know if it was to do with your kind of ribbon? you can just use a pretty pin to hold it in place. or even some double sided tape.

2) by circle icing, do you mean the border? i like it, but if you go on you tube, and search various wordings of border, piping, etc then you will get some videos with different ideas. but practice will help with any technique.

3) you mean cutting the fondant while decorating? not sure why you would have had problems, although having the fondant hanging (ie: cake on a turntable, or can) can make it easier to do - you also have to work faste to stop it stretching.
for most of my cakes, i just deorate on the final cake drum, you can wipe off any mess. you just need to be careful. but to do it 'properly', you would put your cake on a cake board (the thin ones) the same size as your cake and decorate (a turntable is a good investment), then place on your final cake drum (the stronger thicker ones).
xx

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 7

Wow you did a good job.

Ribbons--variety of ways--but in this case you coulda hid the ribbon spot behind the callas (behind a leaf maybe next time). You can pre-grease the back of the ribbon with spray fat like Pam so it all is the same color anyhow--sometimes you can iron waxed paper to the back of it if it's cloth ribbon-sometimes you can tape the back so it's protected.

The circle icing aka snail trail aka piped pearls look good to me. It's a matter of practice and rythm. Also where you place the opening of the tip is crucial to success--which I can't really tell on yours-- but the tail of one pearl is covered by piping the next pearl over it to cover it up. When I get to the end and the last pearl's tail will show, I wipe it off, cut it off with a pin.

Yes you are right often the cake is on a non-flexible board and decorated then placed on the decorative board.

Ideas for you.

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 7

This is amazing - especially for your first time. Your work is so clean. The only suggestion I have - and it's a personal preference - would be to cover the caked board in fondant. In this case white. When I do that I fondant the cake before I place it on the board. Nice job though!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 7

I think your cake looks very nice, you should be proud of it. I've never used real ribbon so I'm sorry I can't help you there. I've only used fondant ribbon.
As for your border piping, that looks fine. You can go to your local craft store that sells Wilton cake items and get their practice board. It has all kinds of template papers in it that you put under the plastic cover of the board and practice piping right on top of the design, then scrape off the icing and keep repeating it until you are satisfied with your results. If you use an AC Moore, just go to their site first and print out one of their coupons. They almost always have either a 40% or 50% coupon for a single, non-sale item. I live by my coupons. The practice board is not expensive though. So much of it is just practice, practice, practice.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caike

Hi All!

First of all, I'm so happy that I found a place where my questions can be answered instead of my boyfriend just looking at me like I'm nuts (Fondant...what?). I've been wanting to start baking more frequently and finally after moving into our new house I have a little bit more time to explore. I have a creative side I haven't been able to fit into my life yet and cakes really seems to be the way to do that. None the less, the past few days I've gathered all the supplies and I finished my first fondant cake (I finished it yesterday). I took pics obviously as there are some questions I have.

You can find the photos here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/3845492738_5e9a50668d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2508/3844701133_b8bf36441d.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3845492138_3d2c6a601d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2648/3844700527_5e5002f3ef.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2512/3845491596_c4d7d2f990.jpg

1 - How do you attach ribbons without it looking bad? The only idea I could come up with was to use the piping gel I used to cover the cake before I placed the fondant on it to adhere the end of the ribbon to itself (does that make sense?). Only problem with that is that the piping gel bled through the ribbon making it look greasy/gross. Other suggestions?

2 - The circle icing around the bottom looks like crap - is there a post where I can read about doing that right? Or at least doing a better job then I did here?

3 - I made the mistake of placing the cake onto the silver tray (was all I could find at the time) prior to putting the fondant on...which made things difficult/messy when I went to cut it. Is the typical practice to put it on a stand, wrap the fondant around it, and then place it on the final tray? Any suggestions here would be a great help.

Otherwise, for my first fondant application I thought it went pretty well. I just made sure that the buttercream underneath was really smoothed out nicely before I put it in the fridge to crust over prior to putting the fondant on.

I read the big post about comments at the top of one of the forums, so if you are just browsing and don't have time to comment that's cool - but for those of you who are masters and have a few seconds, some comments might be helpful. I'm going to do a two tier within the next couple of weeks and will take pictures of that as well. I'm excited my first one turned out ok. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading!

Caike ^-^

icon_eek.gif Holy Cow!!! That's gorgeous... you are waaay too hard on yourself! Also, welcome to CC! You are officially addicted.

Satin ribbons are the hardest to place without something bleeding through... I have come to the point of rarely using one, opting for a fondant ribbon border. When I do use one, I don't put anything underneath. I simply pull it tight and then use a scrapbooking sticker that looks like a pearl to secure it. It has worked out so far. That's just me. I know others will have different suggestion.

Your circle? Do you mean the piped border? It's quite good with just a few blurbs. It's a matter of practice, practice, practice. Steady pressure/steady hand. There's great tutorials all over the internet. Just type in key words like "Piping a border" into sites like YouTube.

When I cover my cakes in fondant. First, they are on a thin cake circle so they can be worked with separately. Then, I elevate them on a coffee or shortening can. Flip the fondant onto it, smooth it, trim, and then bring it back down to a flat surface to finish off before placing it on the cake board. This way, the fondant falls quite easily downward without a lot of extra smoothing. Your fondant is beautiful and smooth! Awesome work.
Hope that helps a little. There's many out here who have much better suggestions, but those are a few tips that work for me!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 7

Kate: I love the idea of spraying the whole ribbon with Pam! Genius!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%