Using Decorations On Wires That Stick Out Of A Cake

Decorating By amytracy1981 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm by sugarsugargal

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 7

Ok you know those cakes that have the fondant decorations on wires that are sticking out of the cake? What size wire do you use? How far do you need to insert the wires into the cake? I have tried this before and my wires just always seem to pull through the cake, not completely, but enough to make all of my hard work look sloppy. Are there any tricks to doing this?
I will attach an example of what I mean ( not my cake, made by CC member helipops).
LL

6 replies
2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 7

I believe you would need to use at least a 24. Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #3 of 7

Try inserting a coffee stir straw into the cake and then inserting the wires inside of that. it makes like a sleeve for the wires, and they don't tear your fondant. And you can also put more than 1 into each one. The thiner gauge wire you use the more play you will have. If you want your decorations to stand straight up use a thicker gauge or even a lollipop stick if the decoration is especially heavy... hope this helps

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:15am
post #4 of 7

i use a 24" wire, but before sticking it into the cake you will have to insert straws and then the wire. wire can be toxic. icon_wink.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 7

I use 18g wire floral wire. I squirt some melted choc into a coffee stir straw then stick the wire in & allow to dry. This gives better stability & makes it food safe.

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone!

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 7

here in the uk, it is against health and safety to insert wires directly into cake so we put them into a "posy pick" which is like a plastic tube that contains the wires then you place the pick into the cake, sure you can get them online icon_smile.gifx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%