Money,chocolate,george Clooney

Decorating By Enilajar Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 8:17pm by Doug

Enilajar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enilajar Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 7

Ok, now that I have your attention:

I have many questions about cake decorating; a lot of things I have figured out on my own, but I have questions based on some of the fabulous work I've seen in the galleries here. These are some of my questions, and believe me, I have searched all forum posts and articles, and cannot find the answers.

1.) What do you use vodka for? I see in post that some use vodka to paint, but I don't know why. I use water and why is vodka better? I think it may have to do with making things sparkly, which is a good segue into ...

2.) How do I make things metallic looking and sparkly? The only way I have been able to in the past is the plain Wilton edible glitter, in a container, and shake, shake, shake it. This is not helpful if it is an item already placed on the cake, or the like. Also, what is "luster dust"? Is this something cooler than Wilton glitter? I live in an area where we seem to have a dearth of cake-decorating supplies, except the omni-present Wilton supplies, and I have a feeling this is holding me back.

3.) I have seen on decorating shows a type of bendy plastic stuff that you can make molds out of. What is this, and is it a product intended especially for cake decorating, or just a normal art supply?

That's all I can think of right now. This forum is a terrific tool!

THANKS!!!!!

6 replies
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 7

Well, let's see if I can answer a couple of your questions. Vodka is used for adding to petal dust or luster dust to make a "paint" to use on your cake decorations. You paint it on with a paintbrush or use an airbrush to apply. Water takes too long to dry and will break down your fondant or gumpaste decorations. The vodka evaporates quickly because of the alcohol content. You can also use things like lemon extract.

To make things sparkly you use luster dust or highlighter dust diluted in said alcohol or lemon extract.

I think the "bendy" plastic stuff you are talking about is probably silicone. You have to make sure the type you are using is food safe because silicone has many applications.

If you don't have any cake supply stores around you there are a gazillion websites that carry caking supplies at reasonable prices.

Welcome to CC and cake decorating! Say good-bye to all your other hobbies because you will quickly become addicted. (I speak from experience)

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #3 of 7

Vodka can also be used to add to orange juice ... a reward for a cake job well done! icon_lol.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 7

icon_lol.gif that's pretty good icon_lol.gif

and umm what she said and i'll have one of those too jojo icon_smile.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

1.) What do you use vodka for? I see in post that some use vodka to paint, but I don't know why. I use water and why is vodka better? I think it may have to do with making things sparkly, which is a good segue into ...

Vodka is used as a "paint thinner" of sorts for food colors, luster dust, etc. As the previous posted said, water will break down your fondant or gumpaste and make it sticky before it dries. The vodka evaporates before that happens. Mix some gel food color with a little vodka and you can paint with it. In place of vodka you can use an extract.

Quote:
Quote:

2.) How do I make things metallic looking and sparkly? The only way I have been able to in the past is the plain Wilton edible glitter, in a container, and shake, shake, shake it. This is not helpful if it is an item already placed on the cake, or the like. Also, what is "luster dust"? Is this something cooler than Wilton glitter? I live in an area where we seem to have a dearth of cake-decorating supplies, except the omni-present Wilton supplies, and I have a feeling this is holding me back.

Take some luster dust, pixie dust, shiny dust, whatever you want to call it mix with a few drops of vodka until it is paint-able. Use your paintbrush to paint it where ever you need it. Or you can add a little bit to vodka and put it in your air brush..clean it right after you are done other wise it messes up your air brush tip.

Quote:
Quote:

3.) I have seen on decorating shows a type of bendy plastic stuff that you can make molds out of. What is this, and is it a product intended especially for cake decorating, or just a normal art supply?

Previous poster said it best. If you buy silicon molds make sure they are meant for food items.

Hope all of this helps!

Enilajar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enilajar Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks to all of you! One more thing I forgot to ask- What is this clear liquid I see people use called "gumpaste glue" and is it edible? Is it gum-tex dissolved in water, because that is what makes sense to me. Thanks SO much for the expert advice, y'all, I have been surging blindly forward and it's nice to have a place to get some answers. If I ask any questions at the craft stores here in N.O, I get an answer like- "Uh, this is fondant. It goes on cake. Can I ring you up now?"

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilajar

Thanks to all of you! One more thing I forgot to ask- What is this clear liquid I see people use called "gumpaste glue" and is it edible? Is it gum-tex dissolved in water, because that is what makes sense to me.

A+ -- you answered your own question by brilliant deduction! detective.gif Holmes would be proud!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%