Did I Put Too Much..help

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 2:49am by sweetcakesbydesign

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #1 of 10

I am making whipped chcolate ganache and the recipe i used called for:

9 oz chocolate chips
16 oz. heavy whipping cream

I boiled the HWC and poured it over the chocolate and mixed it with my KA mixer. I placed in plastic bowl and covered it in saran wrap .

Some how this sounds like too much cream.If it's not too much, How long should i put in it the fridge for to make it whip when it's done chilling.

If it is too much how can i fix it without making a nother batch..can i just add more chocolate chips?

TIA

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 10

The ratio of chocolate to cream is fine. Chill the mixture until it is completely cold (same temp as the fridge). Cream whips best when it is cold. Chill the whip attachment and the bowl to your mixer as well.

If the end product is not the consistency or chocolateyness that you desire, you can reheat the mixture, add more chips, rechill, and rewhip.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 10

Sounds like too much cream to me. I see that as nearly a 1:2 ratio of chocolate to cream.

I've seen 1:1, 2:1, or 3:1, but never the other way around--where the cream is actually more than the chocolate.

Yes, you can add more chocolate. Warm up the mixture that you have and pour it over whatever amount of extra chocolate that you need to add.

HTH
Rae

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #4 of 10

When you're making "Whipped" chocolate ganache the cream to chocolate ratio should be at least 2 to 1. You need the extra cream in there to get it to whip up. If you want regular ganache then you would use the ratios that BlakesCakes noted.

To the OP, that is the recipe I use and yes as prterrell stated just chill it then whip it up in your KA as if you're making chocolate whipped cream.

EDIT TO ADD........Ooops, I forgot to post the link to the recipe I use, sorry here it is...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2358-Whipped-Chocolate-Ganache-II.html

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 10

If I want whipped ganache, I use a 1:1 ratio and it whips up beautifully.

Sounds like anything will work............... icon_wink.gif

Rae

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #6 of 10

Can i refrigerate the whip attachment from my KA mixer...it's metal?

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #7 of 10

what about the bowl...it's metal also

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 10

Yes you can put both the whip and bowl into the fridge.....it will help the ganache whip up quicker......be sure you only whip until stiff peaks form otherwise it will become grainy.

Good luck!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #9 of 10

I put both the whip and the bowl in the fridge or freezer before whipping cream all of the time!

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #10 of 10

thanks you guys... you're the best

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%