Keeping Cake Board Clean?

Decorating By dvmcafee Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 1:16am by BlakesCakes

dvmcafee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvmcafee Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 11

how does everyone keep their cake board so clean while decorating. I always seem to make a huge mess!

10 replies
Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #2 of 11

I don't put the cake on the final board until I'm almost done. Usually right before I stack it depending on the final design.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 11

i use an idea i got from sandra lee semi-homeade on food network. i tear little pieces of wax paper and place them around my cake board before placing my cake on it. then i ice it, decorate it, and let it crust. slide it out, dust off the crusted icing and viola! clean board. thumbs_up.gif

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

i use an idea i got from sandra lee semi-homeade on food network. i tear little pieces of wax paper and place them around my cake board before placing my cake on it. then i ice it, decorate it, and let it crust. slide it out, dust off the crusted icing and viola! clean board. thumbs_up.gif

I do the same thing - the icing mess is on the waxed paper and can be thrown away. Be careful sliding the paper out, I'm always afraid of pulling my icing off the side of the cake.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 11

yeh thats what i do alot of the time, except last time for my buttercream cake i did what was mentioned above and pulled the paper out and the bottom icing of the cake came with it icon_eek.gif i think i put them too far under the cake or something lol But i managed to fix it up and had to put small beads around it anyway so that covered it up too lol

If that happens just press a knife against the icing as you are pulling the paper out to hold it so it doesn't completely come off lol and then just go around and resmooth

jakky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakky Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #6 of 11

If you cover it with contact paper first, all messes can be wiped off.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #7 of 11

I tried the wax paper idea on my last cake and it pulled off my icing on all sides, so be careful with that idea!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:06am
post #8 of 11

i was wondering if you don't used the waxed paper idea and put the cake on the board later, how do you lift it and put it on with say a buttercream cake and no mess up the bottom?

dvmcafee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvmcafee Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #9 of 11

Thanks ladies!!!

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

i was wondering if you don't used the waxed paper idea and put the cake on the board later, how do you lift it and put it on with say a buttercream cake and no mess up the bottom?

Veeeery carefully. =) Usually it has crusted enough so you can lift it, just like you would have to put the upper tiers on anyway. I usually do the eyeball it then drop method. Works pretty well, then I pipe the border around the bottom which covers any mishaps. I haven't had an issue yet.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

All of my cakes go first on boards the same size as the cake. I ice them on a larger board, chill them, and then sit them on the decorative board. After that, then I do the major decorating & the border(s). I don't find too much stray stuff getting on the decorative board, if I do it that way.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%