Cake Board Ideas

Decorating By ibmoser Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm by ibmoser

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 16

Looking for inspiration for a fondant covered cake board. The cake will be a CakeLava inspired bamboo and tropical flowers for an 80th birthday. The cake will be two tiers - 8" and 12" - on an 18" round board. I will use cutters or my Silhouette for "Happy 80th Birthday Joyce" to place on the board. The attached pic is my practice run - a 6" trial. What color/texture do you think will accent the bamboo without detracting? CakeLava used a basket weave-type texture under theirs but had no cut-outs on the board.
LL

15 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 16

Holy mackeral that's gorgeous! Ya know, I think when a cake is dang beautiful, the simplest boards are what do them justice. Simple...no clue for ideas. But like a neutral color, nearly matching a color of the flowers maybe?

ibmoser Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 16

So you think a subdued color taken from some of the flowers would work well - with the lettering in a deeper shade of the same color?

cakenewby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewby Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 16

what about sand(brown sugar or cake crumbs) for the base to stick with the theme....

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 16

I don't have any suggestions, but I have to say ... that cake is simply gorgeous. Do you mind me asking how you did the bamboo? thanks!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 16

I would definitely not put crumbly stuff around the base of that beautiful cake, I know it has a place, but for this cake, I thinkit would detract heavily.

Yeah! One of the pinks from the flower, OR even a green shade.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 16

I think a pretty shade of green............not lime or anything- more like a celery

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 16

I agree with Jamie, what a beautiful cake!! Wow!

I think the shade of green is a good idea. Doesn't take away from the flowers, it just blends right in.

The bamboo is awesome! Great Job on that! thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 16

I agree. Simple muted color that will keep everyone looking up. I think a pale green would be nice too.

ibmoser Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 16

Wow - thanks so much to all for the ideas. Green would be great - there will be at least four shades of green gumpaste leaves. Martha - I made Amazing Mold Putty (from Michaels) molds using actual dried bamboo, also from Michaels. I'm fumbly-fingered with modeling, so the molds really help -plus I can make the bamboo half-round instead of a whole round stick - uses half the chocolate clay that way icon_lol.gif . I dusted the joints with dark cocoa and then dusted all with blended golden yellow, orange and brown, using the dried bamboo as a guide. The bamboo was made from white chocolate clay.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 16

I also agree that a nice, pale green would be beautiful. Your bake is absolutely beautiful.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 16

ibmoser: Your cake is stunning! Truly breathtaking... I love the idea of the board being a light green and am linking you to a basket I did where I covered the board in individual leaves. I'm just tossing this out as an idea, but don't want to take away from the beauty of your cake. It worked for mine and did not compete with the overall effect... just an idea for you.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1327392

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 16

o.m.g. Irene.. that is just breathtaking~! I love the bamboo mold idea too.. You have done an amazing job~!![/i]

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

Wow - thanks so much to all for the ideas. Green would be great - there will be at least four shades of green gumpaste leaves. Martha - I made Amazing Mold Putty (from Michaels) molds using actual dried bamboo, also from Michaels. I'm fumbly-fingered with modeling, so the molds really help -plus I can make the bamboo half-round instead of a whole round stick - uses half the chocolate clay that way icon_lol.gif . I dusted the joints with dark cocoa and then dusted all with blended golden yellow, orange and brown, using the dried bamboo as a guide. The bamboo was made from white chocolate clay.

I have some Amazing Mold Putty that I bought at a Nicholas Lodge class -- actually saw it the other day and wondered what in the world I was going to do with it. icon_smile.gif Thank you so much for being so detailed. Your cake is beautiful and you have made me anxious to try something similar. As my boss would say, "the same, only different!"

Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 16

Please be sure to post a pic of the finished cake - your trial run is gorgeous!

ibmoser Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 16

Win - that cake is beautiful - the leaf-covered board is wonderful! Thanks for the link. Laura - thanks! I'm sure that you and Martha probably recognize the Nicholas Lodge "Exotic & Tropical Gumpaste Flowers" class in those flowers icon_lol.gif . I did buy my first Amazing Mold Putty at Nick's shop, but our Michael's sells it and I can use coupons icon_redface.gif . Thanks to everyone...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%